Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

if the surface duo was $400 i wouldn't buy it.

i would be suspicious that its missing something, and they took shortcuts
    on things it had.

but what do i know, the last 2 phones i bought (1 was a replacement),
    were the exact same LG Optimus, one off amazon, the other off ebay,
    for $40. (not including shipping or tax).

so when i hear about people paying $1000+ for a 'phone', i wonder what
    they really are paying for.

later

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The photo makes the device look really appealing, big bezels and all but if MS marketing was more on the ball they''d show pictures with for example outlook with the inbox on one screen and the preview pane in the other, or a word doc on display with the excel and word tools bars and messages on the other.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Well, I do try to maximize the discounts I can get before I comit to a phone and have been mildly successful over the years keeping the price under $1,000. When I bought my Galaxy Note 10, following @desertlap's suggestions, I was able to get the price under $700. Because I liked the size of the Note 10 more than the Note 10+, I had to forego 5G but that was one of the driving forces to upgrade in ithe first place.

With the upgrade from the Note 5 to the Note 10, I got a far faster SOC, triple the battery life, a quantum leap in photo capability, video conferencing and audio recording. The stero microphones create easily distinguishable dialogue. I got a sorely needed software upgrade that brought my Office for Android into the 21st century and fixed all of my issues with Outlook for Android. I'll be able to keep the Note 10 current through Android 13. :vbwink:

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly I just don't think Office on Android or Microsoft's Android apps in general are robust enough for some of the things that would really sell the device. Like the thing I keep hitting on them for, its complete inability to open two Word docs at once. Or for another example, I could definitely foresee a scenario where one Word document is spanned across two screens, with the reviewer / redline comments pane on the right screen and the document text on the left side. But of course, not possible. Stuff like THAT would be useful. Having a navigation panel on one screen and a writing surface on another screen is never going to sell anyone on this. (And I still point to OneNote 2016 / desktop's fullscreen mode page navigation as a million times better than anything they've done in UWP or mobile). Same thing for some of these other scenarios, like I've seen one where they say you can watch a video on one display and read the comments on another, like anyone ever reads that stuff. Like if you want to sell the device, find some actual useful scenarios and make sure they work. At this point, the only compelling thing they've shown is a Teams meeting on one screen while doing work on the other.

And to the point about Cortana integration - it better be pretty damn good (which I doubt since as noted they're basically discontinuing the consumer-facing uses of it), since Outlook still doesn't integrate with Android's native calendar storage. In other words, other assistants (or widgets, etc.) somehow still cannot see your calendar details if you use Outlook.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I love OneNote 2016 on the Flex - my full size S Pen (from the GB12) is awesome, and when away from the desk, the siloed S Pen is heaven sent. I know a 2.5# 2-in-1 is no match for a pocket device (that you have with you all the time), but that is what has driven me towards the Note 20 ultra vs the Duo.

dellaster, darkmagistric and djas like this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wow, I'm blown away and touched beyond words (me, huh!) As you can see from the week it's taken until I saw this I'm not regularly visiting and this is not a thread I get email from. I have been struggling with chronic spine problems and arthritis and it actually hurts at times to sit and type at a computer, even hold and enter into my phone. That said, it's something that ebbs and flows (for years) and I'm taking many steps to recover from this flare. Again, I'm beyond moved and I now realize that, of anything I do while "idle," few things bring me more joy than being on TPCR and reading what my learned and witty friends have to say :hi:. I may be doing more lurking than writing (applause appropriate!) for a while, but thank you so much for your awesomely thoughtful sentiments. Jeff

EDIT: @JoeS - I promise if I die I will launch a thread to announce it, to save you having to check for my "pulse!" :p

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You won't get an argument on any of this, but compared to what it was, Office for Android has come miles. Hopefully, as Microsoft and Google continue to integrate the functions of Office in an Android universe, it will be more and more seamless.

I like the idea of the Duo and I think it will be a great device at some point. But, as long as Microsoft resists adding a pen that can be toted along with the device, I will resist moving away from my Galaxy Note (and in the future Note-Fold).

8. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@jhoff80 I'm not really sure either and of course the crowd I deal with has it's biases and preferences that may not reflect the broader market.

That being said, that same contigent is all Office all the time and both salivates over anything they see that moves it beyond the PC and has been the most vociferous about the limitations of the Android versions of the office apps directly to MS with usually us a bystander :eek:

I still still waiting though for any kind of "killer app" either from MS or 3rd party that really truly takes advantage of dual screens to the point of getting people to say "I have to have that". It doesn't have to be VisiCalc or Lotus 123 but it needs to approach that level.

darkmagistric likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sad to hear the news Jeff, but glad to see you still have your sense of humor, which is very encouraging. Try communicating via Smilies - it can express wonders in short bursts:

:thumbsup::vbbiggrin::newpalm::vbwink::hi:

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That sounds painful! :eek: Have you tried speech-to-text? All major operating systems have decent dictation options these days, maybe worth investing some time to learn how to use that effectively. Either way, glad you're still around! :thumbsup:

nnthemperor, lovelaptops and Bishop like this.