Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

This is exactly the type of software I was looking for last year but couldn't find anything in the modern era like this. When I was making my earlier comments, something like this is what I'm envisioning for the Duo. I'm just lacking confidence that it will happen. At the moment, there are more devices with active pen capabilities than ever before. And yet, software like this can't be found. While I agree, the Duo is the perfect form factor for this software, I lack confidence that we will see quite what we're all looking for.

Bishop and djas like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hope they do that. that was one of the most fun things about Nokia's windows phones. I had one of the bright yellow ones (cant remember which model it was) and I enjoyed toting it with me to customers. It immediately stood out in the sea of black and silver.

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  4. jra166

jra166 Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  5. desertlap

EDIT: Post in the proper section:
    What's surprising to me is that there hasn't been any discussion of what version of Android would be on the device. 10? 11? or even possibly a forked version specific to MS?

I REALLY hope they release it with as close as possible vanilla load of Android with maybe their launcher, the my phone app and the office apps.

And while I'm at i and I think a big factor potentially in the duo's success is games. For instance a dual screen would be great for RPG's where you could keep your inventory and health stats on one screen and gameplay on the other. That being, this article from Engadget doesn't make it look good for the future of Android gaming.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/08...gn=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dl

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Ah, there's the rub. The biggest issue for me would be the degree to which Microsoft will continue to support the device with updates of the Android OS. This crap where a manufacturer provides two annual updates is nonsense. You should get updates for the life of the device.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. desertlap

I've wondered that as well. MS is far better at making windows "durable" for lack of a better term than anybody by a good bit. By far the reasons for absolutely having to retire a PC have been down to hardware failures, not inability to run Windows.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But being a dual screen device, my guess is on customized version of Android to make for a better experience. And I'm totally ok with that as long as it comes with the MS Launcher. I don't see them abandoning the device after only two update cycles if Enterprise is the target. Again seeing as they're not really Android phone makers, likely they'll have only the Duo to support, and so support will be much longer.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Apple calling - over here @Bronsky, over here - iPhone 6s still supported here - :hi::vbtongue: :hi:

Bronsky likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Somewhere I heard a reviewer say it would be skinned but not forked - is that like "shaken and not stirred"?

Bishop and nnthemperor like this.