Surface Duo 2 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had this problem with other Android phones (Samsung) but not with the Duo 2. I had my work phone switched to an iphone because of it. I'd have the problem where the phone rings but the display is black and also where the persons name with CallerID didn't show up, just the number. Hate Face ID by the way.

For me, the Duo2 has some quirks, the missed taps and gestures being an annoyance. A bigger issue is palm rejection. When taking notes my hand hits the top part of the screen and brings down the notification screen as this area doesn't have palm rejection. Onenote is even worse as the arrow at the top left will bring me back from the note to a the pages tab. Hook lefties like me never fit in a righty world but this makes inking barely usable for notes.

Other than that, I like the phone. It isn't my primary phone though and I wonder if I'd like it as much if it were having to open it for calls continually. My Surface pen (not slim) work well with the phone, I like the form and uniqueness of it. Makes for a much better ereader experience; that may be just the book feel I've gotten use to for the last 58 years. Well built, not using a case or bumpers. Batter yhas been lasting my more than a day at job sites (not my primary phone). Negatives: the glance bar is too small for old eyes so pretty much useless to me but otherwise a great idea, bluetooth with LDAC hardsets is not performing well, I still hate the camera bump.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did I say I love the Duo more than the Fold 3? More than a month with it and I still can't keep it down. And I mean the OG. Can't help but wonder what it would be like if Apple released it with all their meticulous attention to details rather than the release-now-fix -later (or never) approach of Microsoft.
    It pains to make this comparison, but that's how much Apple differs from Microsoft.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Kumabjorn, Bronsky and Bishop like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I've had this problem with other Android phones (Samsung) but not with the Duo 2...>>

@mgerbasio : Interestingly, I never saw this exact problem on any of my slab phones (I was a Samsung user, too) although I occasionally did have problems getting the Answer icon to react so I could answer a call. I also can't remember seeing this exact behavior on my Duo (1). So far this is more or less unique to the Duo 2.

What's really frustrating is that it seems to happen randomly and when the UI fails, it takes minutes to get it back. I also wonder what role the monthly updates might be playing in this, because when I originally received it, the Duo 2 was pretty well behaved. I can't escape the feeling that this is the result of something that got "tweaked."

I've also been experiencing the problem with insensitivity to touch, but I've also noticed that the new "wrapped edge" of the screens makes it possible to touch the very edge of the screen when you are holding the Duo 2 and that's when these insensitivity to touch events seem to occur. If I hold the Duo 2 more carefully, I seem to get fewer problems. Unintended consequences for the smaller screen gap, I guess...

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. mgerbasio

Steve - I thought the problem was related to having a work profile with MS Intune more than being an Android issue as I never had this problem on Nexus, Pixel or Samsung phones prior. The only difference for me was Intune and the Work profile. I really don't like iphones so opting for one over a S20 was painful but the iphone 12 isn't so bad, and, I opted for work to give me an ipad too. So frustrated ipad still doesn't have a file system.

On the Duo, I installed Intune and a Work profile but for the large majority of the day, it is off.

As far as the touch response, definitely an annoyance for me too. Missed taps, gestures and typing get to be problems. I'll see if the curved glass makes a difference for me. The biggest disappointment I have is that I'm a hook leftie and just about every app I tried, my palm hits the top of the screen and brings down the notification menu. Onenote is even worse. It's nearly impossible for me to use this for notes as I planned. Didn't have this issue with the Note 20U. Otherwise, I'm very happy with this phone.

By the way, Best Buy has $40 off if you purchase two accessories. I bought the pen and got the charger (not the case) free.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. mgerbasio

Steve - Has the update today fixed any of your problems? For me, it corrected my bluetooth playback issue, the screen taps/gestures and the palm rejection for notes. I haven't tried the camera yet to see how much it improved. After this update, I don't have any complaints about the phone; ok the camera bump, still hate it :)

daddyfish, nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Steve S and desertlap like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just posted something similar in the software thread. The key is if you install teams but don't log in or configure it.

However based on our tests and a couple customer calls, it seems to affect a wide variety of phones including the Pixels we have in our test lab.

Weirdly our lab Fold 3 and Flip 3 are unaffected. Our suspicion is that OneUI also tweaks the phone APIs which appears to be the root cause of the bug that Teams inflicts, since it also modifies the phone APIs.

PS: and we thought MS could be invasive or pushy on Windows... "if you dont submit to our teams and have an emergency, it's on you....":p:D

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  8. Steve S

<<...Has the update today fixed any of your problems?..>>

@mgerbasio : Too early to tell, but so far I'm not seeing any big improvements...

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Steve S

10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member