Surface Duo 2 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's the same on every device. Even scrolling the glance section of MS launcher, it starts to heavily stutter when you get to sticky note. And this has been the case for more than a year now. I think MS engineers love buggy software.

Sent from my SCV43-u using Tapatalk

Bishop likes this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is the Duo 2 Launcher at par with the rest of android's version, especially Samsung? I had it lacked a lot of features.

Sent from my SCV43-u using Tapatalk

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Android OneNote is a dumpster fire anyway.

I believe Microsoft gave the Android Office suite to a third party to develop?

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Big contributor to my decision not to get SGZF3.

sonichedgehog360 and nnthemperor like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Surely MS will get OneNote right for the Duo Duex, right?

Oh, right, don't call me Shirley...

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I didn't buy it EITHER. "Dear M$: It's the software STUPID!"

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

More initial observations:
    • I went down to my local T-Mobile store to get my SIM transferred only to find that they had moved to a new location. Of course, the new location was still under construction, so no T-Mobile for me!
    • So I went to Best Buy, where I was pleasantly surprised when a Blue Shirt got my new SIM activated over the phone. And there was no charge! 5G now working. Surprisingly, 5G levels at my house are much better (~3 bars) than 4G / LTE (typically 1 bar)
    • Over the last two days, it's been persistently cloudy here in the mid-west. When it comes to judging image quality, I prefer to do so with clear sunlight. Anyway, while I was at BB, which is fairly brightly lit, I thought I'd try a couple of test shots (the brightly colored racks, ya know...). When I tried to open the camera app, the D2 opened the right side and then reported a "camera error." So there clearly are some bugs that need to be stamped out. I'm still waiting for a sunny day so that I can take some test shots to better judge camera quality.
    • While working my way through the System menus and adjusting settings, I've discovered a couple of other bugs. In Sounds and Notifications, there are two ringtones that are identical. I also discovered that if you upload a custom ringtone, there appears to be no way to delete it (maybe you have to open memory?). In Glance, one tone appears twice. I still have more menus to go.
    • In another menu, I found the switch for haptic responses, so the D2 definitely has that feature with the right software.
    • I also tried my Slim Pen 2 on the outside to see how well it would stick. The magnetic attraction was poor and unsuitable for daily use; note that this was without the pen charging cover. This means that even though I have a pen charging cradle, I can't stick the pen to the D2 without another accessory! And again, why doesn't Microsoft provide a pocket clip for the Slim Pen? At least then you'd have that option!
    • The camera bump. Yesterday I noticed that when I fold the D2 completely around, the left side tends to make a loud sound as it hits the camera bump. I'm not sure what's causing this; maybe magnetic attraction? If so, I don't seem to feel it... And when I set the D2 down, I find myself acutely aware of whatever the camera bump is lying on, especially if that surface is hard. It just feels vulnerable, whereas my D1 felt invulnerable...

8. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

sonichedgehog360, JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The @MobileTechReview video is out...>>

Interesting summary. All the more so because Lisa pauses to comment on something that has been making an unanticipated impression on me, too. The camera bump.

In my last comment (above), I casually noted that I never paid much attention to my D1 when it was folded closed. Nothing was exposed (I didn't use the edge guards or a skin), so I'd plop it down anywhere. If there was dirt or goo, I'd just wipe it off; the Gorilla glass surfaces were durable and essentially invulnerable. But now there's this camera bump with its thin glass coverlet over the three camera apertures and I find myself conflicted whenever I put the D2 down. If I put it camera bump down, do I risk scratching the camera glass on a dirty surface? What if goo gets on it; will it be easy to clean off? And if I put the D2 face down (which is what I mostly do now), what if something falls on the camera bump, like a carelessly dropped set of keys (an actual occurrence on a past phone)?

With the D1, I never worried about any of these things, but with the D2, I do.

I guess that's progress...

10. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Seems like either MS made very few for the launch or this is a much bigger success than they planned. The 256 and 512 models are sold out; you can't place an order. The 128gB has a ship date of 11/1. Bestbuy does have the 128gB available for pickup but not the 256gB.

nnthemperor likes this.