Surface Duo 2 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I know you have plenty to do @Steve S, if you do test the pen, would you please check out writing in Microsoft Sticky Notes from the launcher page?

On SDuo OG, the inking stalled and sputtered after the first three or four words in that app.

Thanks much,

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...a real TCPR' would have traded entire weekend dishwasher duty for Thursday night with their new tech toy...>>

I was hungry! Priorities, man....!!

3. Steve S

<<...would you please check out writing in Microsoft Sticky Notes from the launcher page?..>>

@Bishop : Not sure I understand. I checked the Launcher menu and Sticky Notes is not one of the offered apps; if there's a way to pull in other apps, I am not aware of it. If I'm missing something here, let me know.

FWIW, I just tried the Slim Pen 2 using OneNote, and the inking experience is good, similar to that of the Pro 8. I did not notice any haptic behaviors. I also tried the pen generally on the D2 UI and although it worked fine, I felt like I'd rather use my fingertip. This had to do with the fact that although I could "touch" (with the pen) smaller targets, I had to exert more effort aiming the pen nib. Of course, controlling my fingertip is effortless...

Oh. And in the morning light, I'm starting to notice fingerprints and smudges!

nnthemperor, Bishop and desertlap like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I had to go to Best Buy this morning to pick up some SD cards. which are getting scarce and jumping in price BTW due to the ongoing supply chain issues.

Anyway, I went to the Surface Demo area and was playing with the Duo 2 (I definitely would buy the black over the platinum...) and I decided to let the blue shirt give me a pitch for it.

I even pitched him the softball that multitasking was the top of my list of things I wanted from a new phone and I was intrigued about how dual screens would be helpful with that.

However he immediately, without any qualifying questions started pitching the Fold. He even went as far as to mention that " half of the original Duos they sold came back... Oh and the cameras still suck!"

Obviously there is more than a bit of bias there, but it shows what MS is facing. OTOH I imagine if he was like this about the Duo and Fold, that's not his only bias.

5. Bishop

Apologies. I was working from memory. This is on SDuo OG as currently updated:

* Swipe all the way right until the MS Launcher "Feed" view is on the left screen
    * Click the gear icon (upper right)
    * On the "Your Feed" page, make sure the "Glance" checkbox is ticked
    * Click the hamburger menu just left of "Glance"

See if Sticky Notes is ticked. Then go back to the Feed view. You may have to scroll down.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Steve S

<<...This is on SDuo OG as currently updated...>>

Still missing something. I am not seeing the views / icons that you are describing. I'll do some research on this later today...

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off pressure sensitivity in Android OneNote like you can in regular OneNote? I do this routinely in Windows to decrease the space taken by the notes, and improve the handwriting quality. To understand, write a note in the Samsung Note app then in OneNote on an Android device - the handwriting is smoother, cleaner, and more readable than the OneNote version.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, to be fair to MS they finally seem to have managed it with pro8 :vbsmile: (at least that is what I understand from reviewers like Brad Colbow).

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Bishop

I never found the way to do it through Android 10. Haven't seen anything about it in 11 so far.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  10. Bishop

I *hope* that is true.