Surface defeats jitter..?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatcomicsguy, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

You guys are really not helping my compulsion to buy too many gadgets (which my wife often complains about) =).

Steve S and Azzart like this.
  2. batty

batty Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's another video on a Surface Book 2

Link to the reddit thread where it was originally posted.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This was detailed by @Azzart in the SP5 thread. It is also quite similar to the electrical interference experienced on some Z Canvas units, which I discussed here.

Essentially, the digitizer needs to be grounded to your skin (via chassis contact) for reliable pen detection. Also, some areas of the screen can be wonkier than others and behave erratically if you have your palm resting on it. Luck of the draw, it seems.

But I've found even under these poor conditions, the SP5 pen performs more reliably than the SP4 or Bamboo (which can exhibit even heavier waving and cursor jumps).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    batty likes this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I don't know...
    I mean, I don't have ALL these problems with my Surface Book 2. In neither of the two I have had.
    I know OneNote can be very jittety at times and particularly near the edge.
    I can only say the pen is prone to interference and in particular way those two fingers touches the screen so near the pen tip will give you problems. I know because it's the way I hold the pen, if those first two fingers retract touching the palm or I wear a glove that covers the little finger then there's no more interference.

I have yet to translate my review but at 8:50 you can see what I mean about how I hold the pen: first is shown how normal people hold it and that way doesn't give problems, then there's mine:

5. Marty

I noticed the added jitter too, when I touch the screen near the pen tip with my pinker and ring fingers.

In my own experience on the Z Canvas, you get the most reliable performance while holding the body in clipboard mode (grounding the chassis) and using a glove (or resting the palm along the lip of the screen) on your drawing hand.

This matches your experience, no?

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

This thread makes me REALLY glad I chose a device with Wacom AES.

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Uhm, not really.
    Let me rephrase what I wrote earlier...
    It's true that my surface book suffers from some interference, but when I say some I mean "a bit". Because of the very uncommon way I hold the pen.
    And the interference involves almost only the tilt compensation mechanism that makes the cursor jump under the pen tip when you touch the display and the tilt detection itself.
    Low jitter stays more or less at the same level throughout the screen uninfluenced by how I hold the device.

All in all it could be better and there's plenty room for improvement but I'm already content with it the way it is right now, I don't feel the usual "I need another device" at the moment.
    Plus I can play Witcher 3 on it so... :D :p

Marty likes this.
  8. Marty

The way I see this is each generation of N-Trig has gotten progressively better at filtering electrical interference: Canvas < SP5 < SB2.

So for your SB2 it affects only the tilt detection, but on my older Canvas, it also affects the tracking.

But I agree your overall assessment: N-Trig is totally usable for drawing; you can get low jitter all-round (with the SP5 pen), even on older N-Trig hardware.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I can't draw worth beans, but looks like iPad Pro 11 lines are pretty jitter-free to me

StraightLines.JPG

WillAdams likes this.
  10. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

In my experience, the QC of the pen matters a lot too. You can get drastically different jitters by just the draw of luck.

[​IMG]
    Green - SP4 pen; Black - SP5 pen (unit 1); Red - SP5 pen (unit 2). Tested on the same device on the same day.

ricarva, Marty and WillAdams like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.