Surface continues to influence iOS?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by DRTigerlilly, Mar 28, 2018.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Apple announced today that Pencil support will be coming to iWork and the announcement of a $300 9.7" iPad (obviously with pencil support)

This makes for interesting competition in the education segment for Microsoft. Yes the iPad is not a full computer (though may will debate that) but with the lowest spec'd Surface starting at $799 or $719.10 for educational pricing that's quite a price difference.

Aman, Kumabjorn and siddhartth like this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd prefer to think of it as Apple finally starting to make good on their promise to make a replacement for the Newton MessagePad.

If they'd just provide stylus support for the iPod Touch / iPhone, I might buy an Apple product again (first thing since having to buy OPENSTEP 4.2 from them after they bought NeXT).

Aman and siddhartth like this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

:p

4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

That's what i am saying with discontiniuation of smaller Surface3 line, it's clear that Surface team, has chosen the customer base they want to cater to, the rich executives who dont have much use of the pen other than making occasional highlights in the PDFs. This, is evident from their product line up and direction-
    • Surface line- Bigger, more powerful, more luxurious, more boutique, more expensive, less affordable for students and retirees. The best value for money configurations come at the higher end of spectrum. Slow improvement in pen technology, more improvement in gaming performance.
    • iPadline- more versatile, getting smaller, more affordable, more handwriting oriented, best value for money title goes to the entry level and mid range models.
    Apple here becomes the unlikely messiah of digital handwriting technology available to the masses. All i want them to do is make a an iphone SE with stylus support.

I like how they too like microsoft opened up their pencil tech to logitech. I hope they open up to Adonit too. Adonit has the potential to make an acceptable Pocketable Apple pen with or without pressure support.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It's a topsy turvy world when Apple is the low cost alternative. Does lend some hope to a Surface 3 replacement, maybe the Surface Booklet?

darkmagistric and siddhartth like this.
  6. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Surface laptop with Alcantara fabric and a display that cant lay flat is their idea of an education laptop. The Market does not need SB2 but a cheaper 10.5 Surface on ARM chips

Microsoft has lost the education game and so has Google. And it's all down to price.

Aman likes this.
  7. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

The stylus support for iphone could come I hope so.
    But not sure if Apple will even make iPod in the future.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

iPods will continue to be made so long as there are children whom parents want to have small electronic devices, but are unwilling to pay monthly cell phone bills for.

siddhartth and Aman like this.
  9. Aman

yup yes for itunes users.
    But not in indian context where cheap android devices now even premium cheap ones like nokia 6 rule the market.

10. Aman

yes.microsoft may hit back with a snapdragon based surface 10s device or perhaps by reviving the courier concept into a reality in the market.