Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

OH GOD I had a brain fart. I thought that was the base. -_- Nevermind me, I am going back to eating my post workout oatmeal.

JoeS likes this.
  2. tazcubed

tazcubed Pen Pal - Newbie

Firmware update did...nothing. First time accessing this website, and had the driver crash yet again. Back to the drawing board, Microsoft and Intel!

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I actually think this is a good thing. It means intrepid modders now have some space to add extra components--unlike virtually every device nowadays. :)

It be cool if they actually had a swappable battery you could slot into the unused space if you were planning to use clipboard mode for an extended period.

Luft and JoeS like this.
  4. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sad times! firmware update seems to have solved all my display driver issues, although its only been installed for a few hours... I even turned back on connected standby, with "good" results. Sleep works if I close the lid, and doesn't to churn the battery into dust (so far, anyway). However choosing sleep from the power menu simply locks the screen... which promptly unlocks thanks to my face & windows hello. pretty silly.

I have no color shifts, and no display driver crashes yet... We are talking about the 11/2 update right? I'm on an i7/256/8GB/dGPU.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Brilliant! Actually it would be cool if the surface book would quickly toss one of its base batteries into the screen once the 'release' button is pushed. You can thank me later Panos. :)

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Darn spell checkers! :D

I understand the @soh5 argument about "premium price=premium materials" but have little sympathy for the overall despair about absolute speeds. As an original Toshiba T1100 Plus owner:

CPU Intel 80C88, 4.77 MHz
    RAM 256 KB, upgradable to 640 KB
    Keyboard 83 keys, QWERTY
    Drives Internal 3.5" floppy drive X2
    OS MS-DOS 2.11
    Display Graphic mode: 640×200; Text mode: 80×25
    Weight 4.1 kg

and then in 1987, when I upgraded to the T1000, I thought I was in speed nirvana because the OS (DOS 2.x) ran from a ROM chip, and you could buy a VERY EXPENSIVE 768k (YES - "K" for $549 in 1987 Dollars) memory card that could backfill ram to 640k, and create a 512k ramdisk where you uploaded WordPerfect 4.2 and - I thought I was in heaven because it was faster than any hard drive on any planet.

I just marvel at my Surface Pro 3 i7/8gb/512gb configuration in a box that is lighter than my T1100 25 line screen...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    WillAdams likes this.
  7. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah yes, the T1100!

I had one of those. To use it for a couple weeks of depositions in London back then, (1) I needed to solder in a hard drive so that it could hold the document database for the matter, then (2) obtain a Carnet from customs in order to carry it into London and then out without paying customs duties. Was a great machine for the times, but what a difference now!

dstrauss and WillAdams like this.
  8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I totally agree.
    2.5-3 hours battery life is ridiculous small for pure tablet mode.
    4-4.5 hours would make more sense and justify the cost much more of the Book.

But as I do with many other device or line never get the first generation of any kind of entirely new product in the market.

With Book 2 probably in 2017 with 10nm CPU I will consider jumping from Surface Pro if the battery life on tablet is 50% minimum more than today.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Imagine if every laptop/tablet owner would require a Carnet when traveling today. Every flight would be a day late.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ah - a fellow Toshiba pioneer - my partners had "luggables" (Compaq and Panosonic Sr. Partner) and I thought I was the Techno king with 6 pound wonder (and when I switched to the T1000 I knew I was!)