Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No it's everything ok!
    I have 40gb free now I'm posting:p
    But when bought my unit I find 2-3 months later that had Samsung and not Hynix drive.
    If I know it in the first week I would have take replacement.

But I'm really happy with General behavior 1+ year I'm having it.
    It's absolute rock solid without any issue from the beginning.
    No flickering issue or connected standby or any kind issue when connected the type cover or wifi issue/pen behavior

It's the 5 most common complaint about SP3 1.5 year in the market.

From that point I'm very satisfied.

BUT when decide getting SP4 I will defently asking for replacement until I get Toshiba drive.
    The first thing I do when opening is checking the SSD drive.

I'm not willing to pay 1450 euro and having crap Samsung drive.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Luft likes this.
  2. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

That is indeed concerning, and now that I think about it, very shady that the MS forum mod did not even allow you to reply on you own thread before closing it.

Fortunately, after the initial setup, I won't have much writing to do, so I'd probably roll with it as long as I like everything else.

Would be nice if MS released spec sheets. I remember Dell site had details about every part and their sku a few years back

3. DennyA

DennyA Pen Pal - Newbie

FWIW, CrystalDiskMark gave me 307mb/s on sequential disk writes on my 256MB (Samsung SSD) Core i5 SB.

I have zero speed complaints in everyday usage.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Anyone know what the CrystalDiskMark scores are for the SP3 - Sammy MZMTE512?

I just don't get the stress over all this (including PCIe stuff) - everything is already too fast for my pee brain - guess I don't get doubling SSD speeds when I grew up on floppies and went through young adulthood on spinning platter hard drives...

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, I sort of get the "principle of paying a premium price" argument, but I think there are very few use cases where 300 MB/s sequential writes are going slow people down. Network transfers are generally capped at 100 MB/s and USB 3.0 external drives are also going to be a bottle neck. Basically only saving very large files from memory to the SSD are going to be effected, but even saving a 1GB file we are talking about 3 seconds vs 2... Hardly noticeable IMO. Not to mention that in many cases large files are updated on the fly rather than saving all at once at the end, so the bottleneck ends up being in the processing not the sequential write speed.

Certainly there will be a few people whos use cases get the full brunt of this difference, but I doubt it is a very large fraction.

I'd rather have the faster IOPS for cases when my active program collides with heavy IO background tasks like indexing, windows defender scans, etc... but really the IOPS are probably already fast enough with both drives to negate that problem.

cmd likes this.
  6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here is the teardown of the SB: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Book+Teardown/51972
    Unsurprisingly, as before getting the display off without shattering it is a risky thing. Upgrading the SSD would be an easy thingif you didn't break it during disassembly.

One thing that I find disappointing, is the amount of wasted empty space. MS clearly went for a lower weight even though they could have put much more battery capacity in it:
    [​IMG]

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

While I won't notice real world differences between the two speeds in SSD in every day use, if I am paying a premium price, I expect premium materials.

8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I really wish they crammed every millimeter of space in that with battery. Going from 3.5 pounds and adding a few hundred grams extra of battery life wouldnt make the unit any more cumbersome to carry around, since the footprint remains the same.

9. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

You most definitely don't have a pee brain (eww). And you're much too sharp to call yourself pea brained :)

We have the Samsung 256 gig with a CrystalDiskMark result in the review. It's not as fast as one would expect for NVMe, but it's much faster than HDDs and is faster than the many mSATA SSDs we've benchmarked in recent laptops and tablets.

It's also worth noting that it's useful to run CrystalDiskMark (or any other SSD/HDD benchmark) after Windows has had a chance to complete updates and indexing-- say 3 days. Those really do drag down drive benchmarks.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    ikjadoon likes this.
  10. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Then you would be disrupting two critical points in the design:
    1. Weight ratio between the Clipboard and the keyboard base. If the clipboard becomes too top-heavy, you'd need a longer fulcrum hinge to make up for the weight difference between the two. Failing to do so would ensure that the Surface Book topples over once the angle between the base and the Clipboard goes over 90 degrees (maybe less than 100 degrees).
    2. Space to circulate air for keeping the Clipboard cool. All that "wasted space" actually helps keep the Clipboard cooler by allowing air to freely circulate (with the help of a fan) thereby carrying heat away from heat-generating components.

Vaga likes this.