Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well that's the thing, I definitely poke the screen a lot even when trying not to after a few years of using surfaces

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

2. timumi

timumi Pen Pal - Newbie

You're right, it's a Samsung with 300 write after I ran CrystalDiskMark. I was reading off a spec sheet.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I wondered about this as well when wobblegate hit. I guess if you're trying to work on the bus or subway or something the screen wobble might get annoying. For general scrolling and the occasional tap when you're at a desk it should be fine though.

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to admit that I'm still very confused over SSD technology using both SB and SP4.

Me too don't find logical for 300mb/w write for the 256 SSD version either I find logical 150 mb/s wirite in 128gb version of m3/i5 SP4.

It's deal breaker both scenario.
    It's actually not acceptable for me and bad decision MS using two different SSD technology the one much worst for the same amount of cost after all both product.

I'm saying that because my 1+ year i5 SP3 is using Samsung SSD with write speed of 150 mb/s and not Hynix one that perform much better with 300-350 mb/s as notebookcheck review mention.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446450186.832642.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    ikjadoon and Luft like this.
  5. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow. Your Samsung SSD: is it close to being full or anything?

What's most shameful is that the SSDs in these 128GB models are so "bottom-of-the-barrel" that the iPhone 6s has faster sequential writes.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9686/the-apple-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-review/7

I know, 128GB isn't a "high-end" size, but when Microsoft is asking for $1500, anything less than the best is absurd. But they gave the opposite.

The 128GB SSD they picked is literally the WORST 128GB currently available in terms of write speeds. I can't find a slower drive.

Hard disks write faster than this SSD.

I have lost a lot of faith in Microsoft. It's just a low blow.

I'm quite happy I haven't bought a Surface Book yet. I will wait for further analysis by Anandtech--I hope they haven't been misled here.

6. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

The firmware update released today appears to have fixed a lot of my issues but not all. Edge is still damn near worthless when typing on most forums.

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Ugh I was really looking forward to my 16gb/512 i7 model coming in. After reading all of these reports on low quality SSD controllers being used, I may as well get a TPY460 right now that has the pen option included for 999$.

Microsoft why do you have to do this...

8. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Been seeing a few of these "slow" reports pop up. An experienced user/moderator on MS forum said its bogus, I tend to believe him over the random declarations being posted:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/surface-book-uses-samsung-tlc-low-write-speeds.18115/

BTW the 512 SSD is much faster either way

(will be receiving my SB in a few days, I will probably run a lot of copying, so we will see)

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I hope this is true. The screen is to die for.

10. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

No, it's true. ALL other reviewers have apparently been blind to this issue, but I contacted Anandtech: they noticed the SAME issue and they're investigating. There may be random dual-sourcing. Meaning, you might get the fast 600MB/s write SSD (Toshiba XG3) or the slow 300MB/s write SSD (Samsung PM951--referred in Device Manager as "MZFLV").

The reply from Anandtech:

[​IMG]

Wait, that's my thread. :eek: Yeah, it got unfairly closed and, wow, I just realized they deleted my reply! Shady site...but, forget that forum. I trust Anandtech and they actually understood what was going on.

Everyone will realize what is actually happening when Anandtech releases their review later this week.

If I were you doing lots of copying, I would get ready a call to Microsoft to see if you can get the Toshiba XG3. Even at the 512GB size, the Samsung is "quite a bit slower on writes".

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Vaga, efjay, soh5 and 2 others like this.