Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. timumi

timumi Pen Pal - Newbie

Updated to Insider Preview 10576 and things seem to be running much smoother now including touchpad scrolling in Chrome.

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sent from my iPad Air 2

3. Rom

Rom Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my pre-order Surface Book (i7/8GB/256GB) yesterday morning. It was in a strange state (not in a setup state, it was already in a lock screen with a dummy account). Evidently several units were shipped in this state. Couldn't do anything. Had to reset the device (power + volume) and it finally went to setup. I got everything running and installed and updated - then the random lockups occurred - and they were severe. I couldn't get more than 10 minutes in Visual Studio. Took it back, the tech was resigned - he said he's seen two other units do this. There's no fix for this. He took the serial number, logged everything and was set to get Microsoft to send me a replacement in 3-5 business days.

I was pretty bummed because I wanted to have the unit for a trip next week, and didn't want to lug my Lenovo W541 mobile workstation. Well, they must have taken pity on me because one of the guys came out from back and handed me a replacement(!). Evidently someone hadn't come to pick up their pre-order in the 48 hour window (at this point it has been 4 days), and so they gave me his unit as a replacement. I was so grateful that they would do this. I've had nothing but good things to say about the folks at the Frisco, TX Microsoft store (bought various units from them over the past couple of years). Great customer service.

Anyway, I was still hesitant - since this was a pre-order unit like mine. I was hoping that it didn't have the same issues. I spent most of yesterday setting it up and running through various tests and so far it has been rock solid stability wise. Yes, Edge has its issues and occasionally I will get the system in a funky state, but nothing like the lockups that I was having before. So I do think this is a HW issue and not a SW issue.

My recommendation would be that anyone who has a Surface Book that locks up, is to get it in the replacement pipeline right away.

BTW - Windows Hello is fantastic. Talk about getting spoiled. It works in the dark, in the light, and in a variety of angles. Makes the futuristic sci-fi "retina scanners" look positively primitive in comparison!

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I rewatched the Panos Panay Presentation of the Surface Book and him highlighting certain games.

Can anyone explain to me why he showed us clips of "surface book running these games" instead of actually running the games themselves live?

5. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think anyone could possibly know for sure unless they ask Panay, but probably flow of presentation and time constraints. You'd need to start up the game, go through all these menus, etc. to get to the same stuff shown in the clip. What other reason could there be? He's lying to us? We already get "lied to" often about battery life; nothing is ever certain about a new product until reviews, benchmarks and real-world tests start showing up.

6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

What they could have done is have had multiple units with various titles of these games ready. I am not saying P was lying at all.

I think his argument would have been enhanced with real live game play and with him showing the settings it being run at.

It's just the scientist in me that is always looking for data. Would prefer to make my decisions based off evidence instead of being told it works great. I am sure it works good, it better for a hefty price tag and a custom gpu!!!

I am still deciding between the top end SP4 or the surface book. As a consumer I want to make the right decision and sometimes these questions pop up :)

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

tazcubed, Luft and surfaceproartist like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think he was using clips because he immediately then went to Premiere and demoed the merging of the video clips "without losing a single frame." I don't think he was being deceptive.

I am really surprised so many problems seem to be cropping up - but then again I remember a first couple of months of hair pulling with my SP3.

PS - despite the mixed signals on the out of the box experience, I am really beginning to like the SB format - been playing with it more at BB, and the blue shirt told me there would be an i7/16gb/512gb on today's truck...:confused:o_O:eek::(

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

you know you want it... its shiny and new...come aboard... its expecting you. :)

10. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

So Ive been running into some new issues.

1. After powering on the SB windows hello doesnt always kick in. The lock screen is blank and if i hit the up arrow I get my normal log in options, but hitting windows hello does nothing. I always have to use my PIN.

2. Sometimes after taking it off power while it was shut off and starting it up off power it retains my brightness settings from when it was on power. So Im greeted with a super bright screen. What is interesting is it will say my brightness in the notification center is 50% but its actually at 100%. If I toggle it then it goes down to 0% like it was at 100 all along.