Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I understand this. But Apple releases millions of iOS devices and a small minority have issues. Crashing safari is app specific. That'd be like word crashing. Wonky speakers is hardware specific, but that wasn't an issue for the majority. Neither of these make the device unusable.

As for Android the only true comparison would be to a Nexus device running pure Android. HP, Lenovo, Dell etc. have a laundry list of issues with Windows devices too. Even then I've rarely had those issues make the device unusable. Most nexus releases with stock Android have, again, had minimal issues.

My point is that there is no way bad driver issues wouldn't be noticed while testing their devices. The fact that the retail models have stiffer screens then the original demo units makes me thing that very little QC went into these lines before they rushed them out the door. It just looks sloppy. I'd expect more from MS, and really you should too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had these lock up issues with a brand new Gateway several years ago. Initially tech support said that there must be something wrong with the machine, but after the tech talked to his "supervisor" they concluded it must be the software. Really, as I could get random lock ups in multiple software. So the machine was the only common denominator. I will sing praises for Best Buy's return policy as working with Gateway was a dead end. BB gave me a replacement. It ran for almost half a year before it started to exhibit the same behavior as the first. Cleaned the machine and get a few more months, started unseated reseating CPU for a few more months, then machine wouldn't run without locking up several times a day. I still have that machine, but replaced the motherboard. Same intel processor, hard drive, and memory. I've seen this behavior before on "cheap" machines using cheap capacitors to filter the CPU from I/O noise. As the caps age the problem get worse.

So, did MS use a low bidder build shop that saved a few pennies using poor quality caps or did they not follow Intel's specification for filter protection. Might explain why a RF emitting device (bluetooth) might couple into the equation.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I am now sadly Surface Book-less. The local Microsoft Store didn't have any units in stock, so I got a refund instead. To console myself, I picked up a type cover and replacement pen with nibs. The new keys are excellent!

czm2000 and JoeS like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am afraid there may be more stories like yours - the new keyboard, pen, and dock are awesome though.

5. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually couple of years now the quality control is much worst than ever.
    Unfortunately earlier user as beta testers is the real victims of that situation.

Manufacturer prefer not doing quality control but providing DOA and friendly policy for easy replacement defective or failure unit with new one.

The only other option for consumer is to wait 1-3 months until getting new products hoping in the meantime manufacturer have provide software/firmware/drivers update to the high level of quality so maximize the change for getting free of bugs or issue every new one product in the market.

Personal talking of me I'm doing the second option playing with much safe situation.

As for the nexus I remember there were several issue with nexus 5 2013 edition or nexus 9 and even today with the new nexus 5X having hardware issue with problematic screen.
    http://www.slashgear.com/some-nexus-5x-units-may-have-an-overly-yellow-hue-26411505/

Also the cracking issue is very Common and not minority.
    After getting mine went to couple of store and test them and 3-4 different device from different store had same issue.

100% manufacturer failed from Apple.

My last purchase was s6 edge 4 months after released when Samsung provide much better software update because at the beginning the earlier software version was full baggy and below average battery life condition.

That's going to do with SP4 I will consider get one by late of November or maybe Christmas, not earlier.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    efjay and Luft like this.
  6. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree. They'll fix it. But bad battery and bugs is one thing. Freezing screen. Always on fans, parts just completely not working is another. I'm sure they'll eventually be able to patch a lot of the issues. I'd just almost rather them delay the launch a week and test things first. If anyone should be taking those precautions it should be MS with the surface line.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. zhenya

zhenya Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally got some hands-on time with the Surface Book in a Best Buy today. This is a big store and the place was hopping, but there was nobody else handling the new Surfaces. The Surface Book is even better looking in person than in pictures. The fit and finish is fantastic and it just feels great. It released the clipboard no problem for me and I was amazed at how natural that felt to hold. I could see myself using it like that a lot for general web browsing. It felt even more like a sheet of paper than the Surface Pro does.

Unfortunately the keyboard/trackpad base was not functioning at all. It would accept and release the clipboard, but I couldn't get the keyboard or trackpad to respond even after a restart. I even checked that all updates were applied. Feels great, and I can see myself getting into one at the next generation if the bugs get sorted out.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

More info on SB problems - By some stroke of luck, the 10/23/2015 Firmware update failed to install the first time via windows update, so I've been running without the update for four days now. I figured this out when I was once again prompted to download and install the update this morning. I went ahead and did it, and presto! BSOD caused by browsing in Edge about an hour later, with the message: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR.

Happily, I had a restore point! Ive attached a screenshot of what drivers were added by the update, which is a handy feature of system restore. Surprising no one, its an Intel system driver, oem91.inf.

After the restore, I've been running trouble free (aside from color changes and terrible connected-standby problems).

Hopefully my experience can help someone avoid the 10/23 firmware update at all costs, and wait for a real fix from MS.

Attached Files:

9. DennyA

DennyA Pen Pal - Newbie

Freya301, is yours an i7?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

I am still experiencing a lot of issues with mine but my video driver has not crashed anymore since I manually applied the latest Intel Driver from their website. May be worth a shot for anyone with that issue.