Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

Which package did you use? I keep pointing to the inf and it refuses to let me install.

EDIT
    Never mind, finally worked. I had to point to the same inf almost 5 times.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Its in the download center from Intel.com.... also if you have dGPU model.... don't try it due to how the NVIDIA and Intel GMA are used in conjunction and it requires a heavily modified driver set...

Utan-chan likes this.
  3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Down to 3 1/2 weeks now!! You should just have bought the i5, and exchanged it later on, that's what I'm doing.

4. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I deleted the 520 driver and am running with the generic VGA driver and the Surface Book hasn't locked up in a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

my Surface Book experiences so far:
    (i7/256/8, dGPU)

First, the bad:
    1. A few lockups, maybe 3. occurring seemingly at random. Hyper-v is not enabled, so perhaps that's why I'm having better luck than some.
    2. Color-shifting problem - happens mostly when video's are present on a website. covering the offending ad/vid with another window (notepad for me) immediately shifts the color back.
    3. Serious, massive power drain during "sleep". Ran a sleep study, which I've attached. I've disabled sleep, but hibernate works fast enough with these fancy fast hard drives.
    4. Battery life could be better. While connected to the base (constantly), after a while both batteries will begin to discharge at the same time, even when I'm not using the dGPU. Seems like a bad deal, since one of them is tiny.
    5. I am unable to use the provided tool to remove the nib in the pen. It just keeps slipping off and has slightly damaged the squishy tip of the default nib.
    6. Its difficult to open the SB, especially on a slippery table.
    7. The display driver crashes and recovers pretty regularly. Annoying, but not impacting my work so no biggie.

Now, the good!
    1. The screen is amazing! So is the pen, and the keyboard! It took me a while to adjust to the strange behavior of the fn key though...
    2. The fan -it came on a lot during indexing, but it seems to have calmed down now. Even when on, its much quieter than my ThinkPad yoga (1st gen) I could be wrong, but it seems to have a low and high speed.
    3. Seriously, the screen! As long as no new crap starts happening, I can put up with buggy early adopter junk for a few months, just for the joy of coding and drawing using this spectacular device.

Just my 2 cents!

Attached Files:

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. surfaceproartist

@freya301, you've got the same model as I do. My lockups started off slowly on Tuesday but gradually worsened until I couldn't use the SB for more than 20 minutes without a lockup. If this should happen to you, deleting the Intel driver seems to correct the problem. But be aware that the 10/23 Hardware update (which contains the faulty driver) will try to install itself automatically or every time you run Windows Update.

If the lockups aren't bad, using Chrome instead of Edge seems to correct the problem while surfing.

8. surfaceproartist

Well the bad news with deleting the display driver is that I can't disconnect the clipboard. I get an error message saying I have to resolved 1. Elevated Processes 2. Windows Shell Experience Host and 3. SearchUI.

9. surfaceproartist

Now I've installed the Intel HD Graphics 520 driver dated 10/26. I was able to detach the screen, but as soon as I did so I experienced a lockup. I'll stay in laptop mode and see what happens.

10. surfaceproartist

So the lockups are back after an hour watching Windows Weekly. I've gone back to the generic driver, which costs me the use of the clipboard, screen brightness settings and Windows Hello.