Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. shEEEsh

shEEEsh Pen Pal - Newbie

THANKS SO MUCH !!! (Steve S) I have another tablet that uses a Wacom pen. I use that more than my 10" Tablet because of all the clicking noise. Microsoft store isn't that close but worth the drive.

2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I've pre-ordered since the second day, and I havent gotten a call back for my i7/512/16gb model, has anyone gotten a call back?

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

So they had a Microsoft store 12 minutes for my hotel, so I finally got to take a look at the SB. It is definitely a really nice device. The clipboard felt amazingly light, and I really like the feel of the keyboard and touchpad. Considering how light it is for a detachable it was really quite stable, but when sitting on a stool with my legs sloped down it definitely felt a little worrisome. If anyone else is interested, here is the "topple point" of the device when opened at the maximum opening angle. It is perfectly balanced here. Tilt it back any farther and gravity will cause it to topple backwards.

20151027_202440.jpg

BTW, I think this is very good for a detachable. The roll out hinge and battery placement near the palm rest are doing their jobs. Still, it was clear to me this thing would require greater care to use on sloped surfaces than a regular laptop would.

One significant disappointment I had with both the SB and the SP4 though was I could detect no significant increase in the hover distance of the new pen. I didn't have a ruler, but very carefully "eyeing it" switching back and forth between the two pens (new/old) I couldn't notice a difference. Also, when trying both of the pens on the S3 the hover distance seemed the same there. It didn't seem to me that either the new PixelSense screens or the new pens had a significant increase in hover distance. The hover lag was certainly much improved, but that is far less important than the hover distance in my use.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  4. Ross

Ross Pen Pal - Newbie

I took it back today to a different store than I purchased from (working in a different part of the state), and I was fortunate to find the i7 with 512gb SSD. They also allowed me to save the 10% with the movers coupon, so that was awesome. No lock ups for the few hours I've been using it this even. Much happier camper this evening.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Three lockups today, two just before I typed this. Also seeing color temperature changes. I let my battery run really low: only at 20 and 14% now. Wonder if that's related?

6. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

The lockups are a bit worrisome! What so you mean by "20 at 14%". How long did your battery last?

7. surfaceproartist

It took about six hours to get below 10%. The Surface Book went into an automatic battery saver mode where downloads were disabled, so I shut it off rather than try to drain it all the way.

No lockups this morning, but the screen is very dim at 50%. Working in a dark room and I had to manually set it to 64% to be reasonable.

I'm hearing the screen click sound randomly, as if the screen is being disengaged or clicked into place. Color temperature keeps shifting. I just had a random notification sound as I was typing this.

If a firmware fix isn't posted soon, this unit will be going back.

Utan-chan likes this.
  8. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea its buggy even the SP4 has the driver issue with the colors going from warm to cold, its much worse in edge and for this web site its all the time :)... connected standby is broken on the SP4 not sure about the SB...... yea they need fixes quick.

Utan-chan likes this.
  9. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They're reporting the same issue there. Surprising considering the similarities between sp3 and sp4 and the time they had to resolve this in-between.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. surfaceproartist

Just had another lockup and prior to that a BSOD for VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR.