Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I wonder how hot and loud the unit will get when you load up League of Legends for an hour or so.

2. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys.
    Just came back from the NYC Flag Ship store. Got a grand opening event T-shirt and badge! Also bought a new Surface Pen for my GF's SP3 and all of the functionalities, including long-press for Cortana, work just perfectly. The new pen tip is much better when it comes to feeling and friction! I now have 6 N-Trig compatible pens around...

But here for SB's discussion thread, what I want to say is that PEOPLE ARE BUYING SBs! I saw a lot of SBs to be checked out and I never saw so many people at a Microsoft store. I didn't know how crowded it was in the morning, but absolutely there are lots people excited about SP4/SB.

Utan-chan, alanxm, Vaga and 2 others like this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Anyone read the NYT article about the NYC flagship store opening? The anti-Microsoft/pro-Apple bias was thick in that one.

Utan-chan and Bronsky like this.
  4. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah. Okay, I got this one @dstrauss...

Pictures or it didn't happen!

There, that should do the trick

Vaga likes this.
  5. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think anyone said it's just as noisy. Someone had commented before that the fan never came on basically, which elicited some counterpoints. My guess from today's use is that you'll get some fan at first while it runs initial background junk and indexing/setting things up, but I highly doubt I'll get any fan action during my regular usage, except perhaps when charging while doing things.

Plus when it is on, it's still I'd guess about 25-50% the volume it was, so there's that.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Final Decision Time

I am so glad to see everyone getting their SB and SP4 orders. I finally saw and played with the Surface Book at Best Buy. The screen is to die for, and it is an amazing engineering feat...

but I'm going to stick with the Surface Pro 3. This is in big part due to the quality of the SP4 Type Cover I got today. There is no bouncing (BB keyboard lockdowns must have caused that); key spacing is great; trackpad is as good as all but the best trackpads (SB, HP x360, of course none match the MacBook Air); and FINGERPRINT READER IS TO DIE FOR! It is almost as fast as my iPhone 6s Plus for logins. I just realized I am a tablet first user, and the SB was taking a step backwards from that. Had they never released the SP3/SP4, it would be different. But thanks to the new keyboard, and the dock that lets me work at any angle now when at my desk, this has been a great day for me too.

With the exception of less fan noise and Iris graphics, I still don't see the value proposition of a SP4 for an SP3 owner, so I'll stand pat for now.

So - great decision by all you guys - and I know you are going to love your new toys.

AND THANK YOU PANOS - for making the accessories backwards compatible for all your loyal fans - that is a great decision for all of us.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Shhhhh... I want to pick up a cheap SP3 off eBay later, so don't let the SP3 owners know they don't have to upgrade. They must!!

Utan-chan, Vaga, bloodycape and 3 others like this.
  8. tazcubed

tazcubed Pen Pal - Newbie

My first take of this machine: Pros: screen - nice and crisp, stylus, wifi power and detachable screen. Stylus has a nice weight to it, and feels much more solid than other ones I've used in the past (Toshiba, Lenovo, HP) - the size is adequate - nice additional functions with the eraser (click for Cortana, screen print and OneNote start). The screen is big and bright but is glossy - which will impact usage outdoors. It's an adjustment to waiting to detach the screen (hold the detach key for a couple of seconds and look for a green light on the button and a screen prompt as well). By itself, the screen is really lightweight, which is nice. Wifi is particularly strong - I'm finding more networks around the neighborhood than with other machines. Cons: backlit keyboard - no controls that I've been able to find to set the backlight on or off, which causes the keys to "disappear" with indirect light (I gather it's an automatic function). The keyboard is ok, but certainly not even close to the ThinkPad's - key strikes lacks a strong positive feel to it. Speaking of noise, I've not encountered any fan noise - the keyboard is louder, but certainly not the clacking sounds of old. The sensitivity of the mousepad needs be improved - requires a bit firmer touch for responsiveness and get it to work properly (I'm looking for those settings too) - right now, lots of hits and misses. Neutral points: Windows Hello (facial recognition log in) requires a PIN to be done first - which I would prefer to not do. Wish they had included a fingerprint/biometric reader. Also, the charger cord could use another couple of feet of length really. It won't reach if you plug the charger on the floor under a desk in the back and try to bring it up and over the back to the computer.

Make sure you do any updates - the updates that were applied to the image have added some stability from the first log in. I'm having some issues with the screen brightness as when I dimmed the lights a little bit, the screen really went dark and had to override it - that's while on the charger.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. Sorry - but I cannot load pictures to this damned site for some reason (suggestions please).

ikjadoon and Vaga like this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

"backlit keyboard - no controls that I've been able to find to set the backlight on or off"

Should be the two buttons on F1 and F2.

Utan-chan likes this.
  10. Ross

Ross Pen Pal - Newbie

Picked one up from Best Buy today (i7 8gb 256gb) and it is unusable. It locks up every 2-5 minutes. I tried resetting the system with system recovery, but I imagine it needs a fresh windows install, no?