Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine arrived around 9:00 this morning (est). So far I'm really enjoying it. There was a firmware update right out of the box. Windows Hello was easy to set up and worked flawlessly after a reboot. I haven't had a lot of time to use the pen. Installed all the software I needed and did a reboot. Battery life for both devices was around 20% out of the box.

That said, I have experienced some issues so far.

1. While browsing the web, if a video/ad starts to play somewhere on the page I noticed the color tone of the whole screen change. Usually to something like a light green hue.
    2. Had my whole screen go black once while browsing WPCentral using edge. Was able to swipe to another app and close Edge.
    3. Edge seems to lag even more on the SB than it does for me on other devices such as my SP3.
    4. Several times while typing on forums (multiple ones so far) using Edge or IE I've noticed an issue where there is so much keyboard lag that it misses keystrokes for a good 3-5 seconds.

*Update to #4* This actually started happening for me across the whole OS. I had to perform a reboot to fix it. Havent been able to replicate it since.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Have a safe flight @Mesosphere :)

Bronsky likes this.
  3. tazcubed

tazcubed Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm finding some issues as well. Initially had problems getting out of tablet mode only. First boot had a few flickering screens. I found once the updates were applied (including the firmware) it's settling down. I'm not finding the issue of the lag - possibly a network issue? Getting the screen to detach is a little finicky - you need to wait a couple of seconds to remove it as the locks disengage. Otherwise, it's good. It's comparable in size to the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 12". Pictures forthcoming.

4. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

So how noisy is the SB? They seem to be saying in the other thread that the SP4 is just as noisy as the SP3 was whenever you are actually doing anything with it.

5. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

playing with the demo at BB this weekend, I initially couldn't get the button to work and found the software equivalent on the task bar that worked quite nicely. One of the BB employees showed me that you had to hold the button down. I was just pressing and letting go and nothing would happen. Maybe the experience would get old, as an engineer, I was totally enamored with the locking mechanism. Time would stand still while waiting for the sound of the release. So I have no recollection how long it took. My understanding with the GPU, is if a program (I refuse to call it an application anymore) is using the GPU that it might have to be closed out prior to the release. With the demo unit, I didn't see this happen.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Really cause the two device I most remember having that particular cpu are the N-Trig enabled Sony Vaio Flip 11, and the Yoga 11(which replaced the Yoga RT, while the 11s was the Core based model). Both of those started around $450 with the Sony if I remember correctly offering 512gb ssd in some countries, with the NA market being 256gb max.

Back on topic, I got to play with the SB yesterday for a bit, and really just liked how it felt in hand. It be interesting to see if will bring out say a smaller version of it. Cause I'd be the first in line to get one if they did(just give the tablet portion any type of usb port, and a few extra hours).

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

HEY - WHERE ARE ALL THE PICTURES? How can we unfortunate souls not upgrading today get vicarious thrills when you guys won't stop fondling your new toys long enough to share pictures with the great unwashed?

Utan-chan, czm2000, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  8. tazcubed

Some initial pictures
    I can't say I hear much of anything. I've heard a very little amount of noise when the CPU has been highly active, but it's quieter than my ThinkPad Yoga and MUCH quieter than my HP 2740P.

Utan-chan likes this.
  9. tazcubed

Sorry mate... I've run into some "technical difficulties" (not associated to the Surface Book). Hopefully this evening - sorry about being a tease, but hey - that's what makes it fun! :p

10. derylmccarty

derylmccarty Pen Pal - Newbie

opened up and turned on battery was at 30%. 1.75 hours later full charge. got all except have yet to install Office. But that started a whole range of issues with Win 10 not the SB. How in holy hell do I transfer favorites from Edge (SP3) to Edge (SB). I searched on line and found the specific location in users/appdata etc, but there is nothing in that Favorites. Yet here I am, I just accessed this site from favorites from by SP3. I suppose I could open every single file in IE and save ot IE favorites and then move file to SB and import to IE Favorites then import to Edge from IE. Jeez.

ikjadoon likes this.