Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

My BB didn't have a demo S3 up until a couple weeks AFTER they had it for sale.

Edit: Needless to say, they don't have an SB up.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Unless Intel changes the Tablet/Phone ATOM SoC to support something other than eMMC it is out of MS hands

3. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well... Not entirely out of their hands (cough) core m (cough).

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

bloodycape, jhoff80, Vaga and 3 others like this.
  4. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

From news reports, it looks like Skylake's 10nm successor, Cannonlake ( a 'tick' cycle) may be indefinitely delayed and it's earliest speculated appearance could be around the second half of 2017. A "Skylake refresh", code named Kaby Lake, is slated for around late 2016 and is geared more towards improvements in desktop and workstation-class processors although there are probably improvements on their mobile counterparts as well. All this leads me to believe that the Skylake-based Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book won't get new CPU architectures until mid-to-late 2017 or early-to-mid 2018 making them good "investments".

I don't mind because this means that Microsoft has a lot of time to refine their designs a bit further and maybe "perfect" (or come close to it) their current design standards for both product lines. In the meantime, they can also use this to test out new peripherals and maybe come out with a direct competitor to the 15in MacBook Pro with a quad-core CPU, NVidia Quadro-level graphics, better tablet battery life, better pen experience, et.al.

Utan-chan and alextrela182 like this.
  5. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

In case anyone didn't preorder from the MS Store prior to the 4-6 week shipping time frame, the Surface Books on the Best Buy website went from "Coming Soon" to "Pre-Order." I believe you should be able to do the pre-order option now for store pickup tomorrow.

Utan-chan and freya301 like this.
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Bay-Trail Pentium & Celeron based Atom did have SSD support, though it didn't support connected standby.

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me much better upgrade season and chronological time of Surface Pro and Book is minimum summer 2017.
    This is not mobile device and no need every year to see successor.

I think every 2 year is the swift balance and recommended time between from one generation to new one.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Utan-chan and Luft like this.
  8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Luft likes this.
  9. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Wired has a story about the Surface Book at
    http://www.wired.com/2015/10/surface-book-behind-the-scenes/

Slightly off topic, he uses a Surface Mini that was developed but never shipped.

"Panay popped off the pillow, reached for his new Surface Pen and his old Surface Mini, and wrote himself an email. (He loves the Mini, a small tablet his team built but never shipped. “It was like a Moleskine,” he says. “It was awesome.”)"

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That is just INFURIATING! He's still using a two year old device we never saw and prefers it for quick note taking - THAT SUCKS!

Utan-chan and Zeelobby like this.