Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've given them feedback and have sent specific links to relevant threads and specific posts over the last 3 years....

2. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

The folks at my local Microsoft store are telling me the i7 models of the SB are delayed until the 20th of November. Is this true for everyone, or possibly just a local thing? Did I miss some news or something?

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So the first benchmark screenshot was posted in the reddit thread and it's of the FFXIV benchmark (hey, good press for the game i guess :))
    [​IMG]

His unit was the i7/512/16gb/dGPU model. So for those of you who aren't FFanatics who have memorized benchmark ranges, how does this stack up?

Well unfortunately, the exact setting he tested doesn't have many results:
    Capture.JPG

But if we compare to the slightly modified Laptop (High) setting (which generate roughly the same range of scores):
    Capture2.JPG

So a score of 8000 (assuming no significant change under Laptop (High)) puts the gpu in between a 560M (roughly equal to a 940M) and 550Ti (roughly equal to a 850M).

Note: GPUBoss just gives very approximate comparisons, so this measure probably has a high margin of error. But the general result 940M ~ 850M performance level seems reasonable.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey gang! I got to play around with the Surface Book 4 for a little while (the lower end model I think) and I was VERY impressed. Almost impressed enough for me to consider trying the darkside for a while (Ntrig), as I found the pen to be much improved over the Duo 13 from my brief testing in Sketchbook Pro.
    The build quality and idea of a DGPU in the keyboard is waaaaay overdue, so I'm glad Microsoft is using their brains and really putting in effort for this. If it was Wacom I would have pre-ordered, but that price tag is HUGE for the specs I want. More than my T902 cost new! 12 hours claim would finally beat my t902 with both batteries and be a fraction of the weight. Not to mention it has the GPU going for it. I would love to run some sustained benching on it to test its rendering and CPU speed to see if the 16gig version i7 can keep up with the T902 in After Effects etc. Does anyone know the TDP of the i7?
    Either way really excited for this direction Microsoft is heading.
    stoneseekerBook4.jpg stoneseekerBook402.jpg

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Now that they have figured out how to dynamically enable and disable a DGPU, I really hope they'll give the Surface Pro 5 and the Surface Book a power dock that includes a heavy duty graphics card. We're inching closer to single device heaven. Give me a 3lbs "Surface Yoga" that doesn't even detach so it's balanced without the crazy hinge, that does have a fan, and that doesn't include DGPU, but with a GPU in the power dock, and I'll bite. Well it would also have to be affordable, so I'm likely SOL even if they develop it.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The TDP is 15W, but shog was claiming in another thread that the Skylake 15W finally beats his (and your) 35W T902. Also from all the reviews it seems that there is no thermal throttling on the SP4 or the SB. At least for CPU only tasks. For heavy gaming that taxes both the iGPU and the CPU there is some minor throttling. If what shog said is true it looks like MS finally (3 years later) beats your T902 with both the SB and the SP4.... well at least from a power prospective.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Utan-chan and stoneseeker like this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

It's about time! ;)

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yep =)

It should open up some options for you though since the same should apply for pretty much any Skylake U series chip (provided it is adequately cooled ... which it often isn't).

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Can you suggest to them a S3, but with a proper SSD so I can have at least 256gb of faster space?

JoeS likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

SOOOOO SAD...our local yocals at Best Buy said they don't have a demo SB, but they will have the 256gb models FOR SALE tomorrow...geez...