Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

This one has me a bit schtumped as well. It seems such a natural integration, but I suppose the developmental cycles weren't synced.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Vaga likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

This! They've really listened to the community. If someone told me @jrnroach had been to their meetings providing user input reports from relevant boards I wouldn't be the slightest surprised. Microsoft has really responded with this model. So I think this should be the tock on @dstrauss tick tock scale. Next year's Surface Pro 5 model should be a real game changer.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe that's it, thankfully it's something that they can address any time, so hopefully we won't have to wait until the next Surface release cycle. Still, people that buy the tethered dock right now will not be as tempted to also get a new Lumia. Worse, those would have been the ideal people to show off the new technology, because if they're willing to spend $200 for a little black box with a bunch of ports they clearly like their technology!

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

I think they are having some issues with their review models.

From their "First Look":

"My experience so far is that the whitelist seems a bit bugged right now, and the dGPU runs all the time when the Clipboard is docked, which is clearly not the way it is intended to be."

"...the pre-production unit that I received had a defective keyboard. Due to very limited supply initially obtaining a replacement unit was difficult, but Microsoft came through with another sample. Due to the time needed to swap I haven’t had time to do a full review yet..."

A few reviewers were shipped final production models but only in the last week or so (according to Paul Thurrott). But, not sure if that includes Anandtech.

It is an odd omission. But, I think in Microsoft's eyes, they already have a reversible PCIe-toting charging connector: the Surface Connector.

Some people say other companies can use the Surface Connector to make more accessories. But, I've never seen one and one accessories company said they couldn't because it was proprietary.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    Vaga likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm aware, but I'm just impatient since I'm sure it will contain a lot of the missing information people have been asking about.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, I know it's page 79, but just to throw my two cents in-
    I went to a MS store and took a look at this today. A beautiful piece of hardware, but the screen wobbles way too much for me. As a first iteration laptop, there's room for improvement.

Like others have said, what I'd really like is the SP4 (or a S4!) with a clamshell keyboard dock, but with the hinge on back still.

8. Gus Smedstad

Gus Smedstad Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think those count. Those are Surface Pro-specific accessories, jury-rigged from cables purchased from Microsoft. To count, I think a company would have to make an item powered by the Surface connector that wasn't really related to the Surface Pro.

Then it'd be more like a generic power connector, the way USB cables have become generic power sources for all sorts of doodads. Or the way PC AC power cables use a standard connector, no matter who makes the power supply.

Vaga likes this.
  9. Shurik

Shurik Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the information! I'm slowly but surely running out of excuses for not buying the SB :)

tabletartist4d likes this.
  10. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

heres a quick video i did with undocking while shut down.

Utan-chan and kruzilla like this.