Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

1. Better screen(brightness,contrast,black level,accuracy) and bigger one in the same dimension plus I bit lighter and less thickness as Surface 3 body.
    I have to say Surface pro 3 screen is good enough for daily use. And the weight and thickness is hard to notice even I have both side by side.
    2. The battery life we have improvement in most situations despite smaller battery capacity.
    Based on all recent reviews, the battery life is pretty much the same if not worse
    3. Improve surface pen
    Since all pro 4 accessories are compatible with pro 3, I do not give much credits here
    4. Much more improvement in type cover.
    the same as 3
    5. Much much better SSD technology(NVMe PCIe)
    On nowadays, SSD is fast enough. The SSD speed improvement may not affect user experience much now. I do not see any delay on IPAD slow MME drivers though.
    6. Much better performance in CPU-GPU by eliminate throttling one of the downgrade experience with the Pro 3.
    Eliminating throttling may be biggest improvement from Pro 3. It is more like iphone S model to fix previous version issues.
    7. Much better cooling system by reducing the heat and fan noise in significant amount.
    I think we can count 6 and 7 as one. And on this part, surface 3 brings the best experience.

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So my Surface Book is it town at Fed Ex. Was trying to pick it up but it seems like they won't let me. Anyone else try?

3. DennyA

DennyA Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought about trying the same thing, but I believe that these are tagged specifically not to deliver until Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not sure it's been addressed earlier in the thread because I haven't been following along much.... but with regards to the charging times, apparently there are two different chargers - a 35W one for the non-discrete model, and a 65W one that comes with the model with GPU or also with a dock.

5. derylmccarty

derylmccarty Pen Pal - Newbie

According the FedEx tracker my SB is about 8 miles away in (Fife) Tacoma. But the tracker info also says not for delivery. So they will stick to the MSFT inauguration schedule of Monday. Sigh. 8 miles as the crow flies, 5,000 as the paper shuffles.

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The SSD improvement will see huge difference in rendering,extracting big files,better boot time.
    It's not the same thing as eMMC flash on iPad on mobile OS.
    The new pen it is compatible with SP3 but you don't get all the feature.

Also it is wrong to compare Pro line to Atom surface 3.
    You compare it only Pro to Pro and you have huge differences between two model.

Yes the screen quality of SP4 is much better.
    It is brighter as I prefer and had much better black level as I also prefer with better contrast and rich color.

To you maybe is not enough,but can you tell us what did you except from SP4 maybe USB C neither Book have it,maybe wireless charging neither Book have it,the same pen technology in Book the same exactly you have in SP4

From what I understand you want more laptop like device and not more like 2 in 1 from beginning like SP4
    It's useless to talk more about that,simple because as SP3 owner you should have known before announcement that in terms of form factor you didn't going to had huge differences and more would have been under the hood plus improvement in pen,type cover and very welcome improvement in throttling issue and much better cooling system.

General SP4 resolve 90% of the issue that many people complaint the last 1.5 year.

Forgot to say above the improvement in both camera,especially the back one having now autofocus capability witch some people complaint in SP3,very useful feature if you make a lot of scanning propose pictures.

Also the eliminate of Windows button is welcome move from MS as a lot of people complaint also when writing(artist for example) or simple reading PDF as I'm myself for accidental turn on of it.

So don't judge only for your own personal needs,but think more opened mind.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Hurry up with your full review already Anandtech....

8. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

in best buy right this minute playing with the surface book. Can't get the pen to work. Frustrating. Is there a setting wrong?

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

What are your gen 4 Surface plans?

10. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

best buy tech said they got it to work yesterday but stopped working today when started up.