Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

I sold my surface pro 3 one month ago for up coming surface pro 4.

I am very disappoint on the surface pro 4 upgrade. I do not see much improvement from my previous surface pro 3.

if I go for surface pro 4, I feel like spending a few hundreds more to get my old device back. I want to get some new user experience.

In that case, I have pre-ordered a 128GB/I5/DGPU Surface Book even though I will use it as a table half of my time.

If i do not like the surface book, I will return it and get a used surface 3 for my daily use and wait for surface pro 5.

2. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw all these notifications about Lisa replying and I thought the video was already up. :(

It's OK; I'll be patient. Haha. Your videos are always worth the wait.

Will you possibly be measuring charge time? I can't find a single review who's measured it yet.

3. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

I know my speculation is no match for a real test, but...
    anandtech measured the sp4 battery charge time as 158 minutes, but I guess the SB does have a much larger battery - perhaps around 2x charging time? roughly 5 hours is a long wait, but then again, 70Wh...
    http://anandtech.com/show/9727/the-microsoft-surface-pro-4-review-raising-the-bar/7

4. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I have yet to see it take 5 hours to charge. More like 3 so far (thankfully).

freya301 and ikjadoon like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Saw a Surface Book for the first time this evening, at my local Best Buy. I don't know why it took so long for them to get one, nor why my local Microsoft store didn't have one, but things are what they are.

Overall, I have to say that I was more impressed than I expected to be; it's a solid design. I guess pretty much everyone else on this thread has already said everything there is to say about the Surface Book, so I only have a few meager things to add to the discussion:

<> The screen is gorgeous, and in tablet mode the sheer size of the screen combined with the thinness of the case really did make it feel like a clipboard or a pad of (animated) paper! The 8.5 x 11-ish size just seemed "right," something I've been waiting years to experience.

<> I have no idea how the locking mechanism works, nor how it can be so seemingly rigid when attached. Yeah, yeah, I know: Memory wire. But how does it stay anchored?!?? If you feel the alignment tabs, there is no obvious notch or "tooth." Likewise, the sides of the tabs feel smooth. If this is all being done with sheer pressure... well, I'm impressed.

<> And while we're on the topic, am I the only one who thinks that an electrically-actuated docking lock might be a bad idea? What happens if your battery runs down accidentally?

<> Someone on this thread asked if the tablet portion alone could be plugged into the AC adapter. Yes, it can, and I verified that the battery icon shows "charging."

<> And speaking about that, who knew that the connector actually had a name: "Surflink"...?

<> As much as I admire the design of Surface Book, I hate, hate, HATE the white-on-silver keyboard cosmetics!!! In the store, and despite the backlight on the keys, I could barely make out many of the letter (not that I needed to), but silver and white is a bad, bad color combination!!! Doesn't anyone in the Microsoft design studio understand the value and importance of contrast?!??

So, do I like this thing enough to own one? Of course not! I already told you I am a slate person! Aren't you paying attention?

However, my daughter's Dell Latitude is well into its old age and it's had a hard life... Maybe the time to consider a replacement is not too far away...

Vaga, Utan-chan and surfaceproartist like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I forgot where I read this, but apparently the default mode is 'attached', i.e. if it's connected and the battery runs out, it will not fall off. If it's disconnected and the slate battery runs out, I'm assuming you can still attach it. If the dock is dead AND the slate runs out, I'm not sure if you can attach the slate. But then again, how would you run down the dock without the slate attached.

7. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

That's exactly what I saw and I made the same (faulty) calculation: ~4.5 to 5 hours for the Surface Book.

Praise be. That's a huge relief. Thank you for reassurance, haha.

8. Shurik

Shurik Pen Pal - Newbie

I appreciate your time and efforts spent to provide us with your "overly long" reviews. I must say that watching them actually saves me a lot of time and frustration since the only alternative is to wade through myriads of identically looking specs rehashings hoping to find bits of useful information. Please don't slow down!

Speaking of which, could you please address the following two points in your upcoming review: 1) how far does an inserted SD card sticks out from the Surface Book base? and 2) is it possible to disconnect the clipboard from the base when the Surface Book is turned off (with both parts being fully charged)? Several reviewers mentioned that it is a "software solution" implying that it requires Windows running in order to disconnect. This would be a real bummer for me since my use case for the clipboard is to grab-and-run it on the way to a meeting or a seminar.

Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's a lot of improvement everyway.

1. Better screen(brightness,contrast,black level,accuracy) and bigger one in the same dimension plus I bit lighter and less thickness as Surface 3 body.
    2. The battery life we have improvement in most situations despite smaller battery capacity.
    3. Improve surface pen
    4. Much more improvement in type cover.
    5. Much much better SSD technology(NVMe PCIe)
    6. Much better performance in CPU-GPU by eliminate throttling one of the downgrade experience with the Pro 3.
    7. Much better cooling system by reducing the heat and fan noise in significant amount.

I don't see a reason to be disappointing.
    It's rock solid upgrade over SP3.

Unless you want bigger screen and more likely laptop device like Book plus Nvidia GPU for what Evers reason(gaming,editing)

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    Luft likes this.
  10. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

The SD card is a half SD card slot, meaning half will stick out. You can buy a micro SD adapter that sits flush with the side. Also yes the tablet undocks when the computer is fully shut down and unplugged as long as there is 10 percent battery so no its not strictly software based.

Shurik and ikjadoon like this.