Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Covered. Nope.

TheSpacePope likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I never said they are cheating or Apple-biased, I'm saying their scoring system gives a skewed perception of relative performance between architectures.

The geekbench scores of 2493 (i7-2820QM) vs 2499 (A9) are supposed to be general performance measures, taking into account all the tests you linked, not just SHA1 right? So, even if we assume that the A9 can do SHA1 faster, it still doesn't explain how a 65W quadcore desktop cpu can score below a 5W mobile chip.

To me this suggests that the scoring system needs major tweaking before it can be used as the go-to cross-architecture benchmark that you are advocating.

Even though I think geekbench is a poor performance measure for x86 processors (because of non-linear scoring), I think it's an adequate measure of ARM-to-ARM processor comparisons.

Why not simply say to your friend who's asking, use geekbench for comparing mobile devices and google passmark's scores when comparing Windows devices?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I know it's an Engadget review, but for what it's worth, they did mention the fan noise:

"Also, games were one of the few things to really make the fans start whining. For the most part, during my two weeks of testing, I enjoyed quiet performance, with a chassis that didn't stay cool, exactly, but never burned my hands or legs either. Get a game going, though, and the fans will get quite loud. To Microsoft's credit, at least, the noise pipes down quickly -- in some cases a few seconds after you close the offending app."

4. jangaru

jangaru Pen Pal - Newbie

When did you order yours? I pre-ordered on 10/10

5. derylmccarty

derylmccarty Pen Pal - Newbie

And I pre-ordered on the 6th...still no track ##...but the $2.9k charge is sitting in my Visa account. Does that mean different SKUs were stored at different locations with different folks managing the inventory? I will be unhappy until the Book arrives then I will forget my irritation. Sigh.

6. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

On this review by Tested, around 11:50, he states that the pen can't be calibrated, only left and right hand adjustment options. Has anyone else heard this or seen this on display models?

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That doesn't sound right to me. Pen and Touch calibration is in one of the standard control panel applets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utan-chan likes this.
  8. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

I pre-ordered 5 devices in the wee hours on 07 October in various configurations for testing and subsequent distribution to a few employees. For non-conventional reasons, I had to make each device separate order...

When I started reading (here and elsewhere) about the "MS order cancellation" issues, I immediately called my CC company. Sure enough, they had tried to contact me twice regarding the potential fraud condition caused by several successive orders ranging from $1K to $3K, but (due to our own fault) they had the wrong contact phone number. Fortunately it seems that we caught things just in the nick of time and the CC company has subsequently verified that several items had already been successfully charged.

I received a shipping notice on one order which shows a "by Friday, 23 October" delivery so I was pretty excited since I have a business trip on Monday and would have loved to "casually" produce a Surface Book and "nonchalantly" use it in front of this particular customer ;-). Alas, upon checking my tracking notice, I see that the shipping weight is only 0.7 lbs. and the package contains just one item from this one order - an ancillary Arc Mouse... I am crushed... :-|

Have any of you with pre-orders gotten shipping notices with tracking numbers, etc? If so, have you verified the contents of the package shipped?

TIA for your feedback.

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

[Edited to correct typos and insert paragraph spacing for readability]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  9. FoX4305

FoX4305 Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered mine the 6 oct

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I wouldn't expect any deliveries of anything before the availability date. Microsoft has demonstrated... repeatedly... that they know how to orchestrate mass shipping so that they arrive on a target date...