Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    TheSpacePope likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Cinebench scores also seem out of whack:
    [​IMG]

However the 3DMark (non-IceStorm) scores are a nice surprise:
    [​IMG]

The i7 version actually scores markedly better than average 940M scores. Eg. Yoga 3:
    Capture.JPG

I wonder if things will improve even further with driver optimizations.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    Utan-chan, Allarih and Bronsky like this.
  3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Ok so we have benchmarks but the question remains. How much fan noise and heat will be generated?

I would love a work machine that I could carry anywhere and also have access to games on the fly when I want, but at what cost with noise and heat?

4. TheSpacePope

TheSpacePope Pen Pal - Newbie

Shoot. That Ars Technica review, although positive, left me with more doubts than even the obviously Apple biased reviews I've read. I'm now thinking I'll hold off buying until they manage to actually optimize the thing for the GPU, cause right now the GPU is looking like a marketing gimmick more than the unicorn many of us have been waiting for. The battery life plummeting when detached from the keyboard is concerning as well. Sure, I'd expect a significant drop, but I wasn't expecting less than half the battery life of the Surface Pro. I'm expecting to need battery life the most when undocked.

Vaga likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I see the fact that the question remains as an encouraging sign. If the fan noise or heat was extreme, the reviewers probably wouldn't forget to mention it.

6. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I hope the Surface Book isn't really scratching the table that much like in this video..

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Would have been much more accurate had he compared to the MacBook Pro 13".

alextrela182 and Allarih like this.
  8. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

LOL. "Power plug on SB could be attached either way, which is kind of cool. But, if you plug it this way it blocks the display port. It's not something Apple would have done."

No apple bias at all.

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

We're talking about SHA1 here. The Core i7 CPU beats the ARM processor in all other benchmarks. I never said Geekbench is perfect, I said they're not cheating or favoring Apple.

http://support.primatelabs.com/kb/geekbench/geekbench-3-benchmarks

You can actually duplicate Geekbench yourself using open-source software. If you hunt around you could find a bit more details about each test. If you run some SHA1 rounds on an ARM processor and an Intel Core processor you can confirm the results yourself.

Well 25MB is an improvement over 2.4GB, but PassMark is much more of a "black box" than Geekbench (for example it specifies "integer math" but not the algorithms tested), it doesn't offer a unified standard across platforms, its site layout is pretty bad for finding results (split into multiple sections and different searches for each section!) and the software itself is much more complex than Geekbench's single button.

So if anyone comes around asking about benchmarking their device, Geekbench still seems like the most sensible choice.

10. TheSpacePope

TheSpacePope Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry if this is covered earlier in the thread, but any idea yet if we'll be able to do our own SSD or RAM upgrades?