Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Have to agree, this comparison stuff between devices that are obviously not comparable is ludicrous. I like Apple stuff, but I know the iPad XL is not on par with the Surface line. It's a nice product and has its uses, but comparable to a Win10 device with all the hardware advantages the Surface line has? Give me a break...Apple, if you want to compete with Microsoft, make an iPad running OSX and then, maybe, you've got something to START with. It would take a good while to actually get competitive with the Surface line, and that's only if MS stood still with their product line.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The best part of your analysis is that Microsoft is actually IN THE LEAD for the first time in decades. As for those comparisons, it's like comparing the Patriots to Texas Tech - not exactly in the same league...

Utan-chan and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. Gus Smedstad

Gus Smedstad Pen Pal - Newbie

I looked seriously at the iPad Pro as an alternative to the Surface Pro 4. At first, as a long-time iPad user that seemed ridiculous because my iPad 4 is very slow when it comes to any actually demanding task, but Apple's been touting the A9X as a desktop-class CPU. Apple is certainly exaggerating, but we won't know for sure until we see some actual benchmarks.

PCWorld has an article which does some guesstimations based on claimed improvement (1.9 x the iPad Air 2) and existing benchmarks, and came up with a figure that looks like Surface 3 i5 level performance.

I use my iPad heavily, and I expected to be bringing both the iPad and the Surface Pro places. If the iPad Pro could do what I wanted, I'd only be bringing one device, and that's a significant advantage.

What stopped me was iOS limitations. No file management, the difficulties of transferring files to and from the device, and that no iOS image processing program is remotely in Photoshop's league - and that includes the reduced versions of Photoshop Adobe has available for iOS.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

This is really the reason that they aren't in the same league. The A9X may actually put it in the same ballpark in terms of raw power, but it doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is if it can't run the software which demands that hardware (or more importantly the software you need).

NamelessPlayer and thierryb like this.
  5. DennyA

DennyA Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here. I have tried using the iPad as my sole device traveling a number of times and I always run into limitations on what the software can do. It's not the performance, it's the fact that I can do so much more with Photoshop and other apps on a Windows machine or MacBook.

The problem with Windows used to be The few tablet reading apps that either weren't available on it or were much better on iOS/android. But now with DuOS I can run those too. And I keep hoping with Microsoft's new porting software, that apps like the iOS/Android Marvel Unlimited and Zinio will get Windows versions.

As far as the Surface Book hoes, I was hoping they were going to ship for delivery on Monday, rather than ship on Monday. What has MS done historically there? I bought my SP3 at the MS Store, now kind of wishing I'd preordered at the brick-and-mortar store...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Utan-chan and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

...and made up a figure that looks like Surface 3 i5 level performance.

FTFY )

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...@Steve S - can we start an "I HATE APPLE THREAD!...>>

...No. We hold ourselves to a higher standard!

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I just talk to an agent from microsoft and he tells me that all surface will be ship the 26 oct. not before and that they don't charged cards but only authorize the full amount on the card...>>

...I believe that this interpretation of events is more likely to be correct. In the past, Microsoft has shipped so that deliveries occur on the availability date (the 26th).

9. derylmccarty

derylmccarty Pen Pal - Newbie

"And as I finished reading the comments I checked in with my bank, and lo and behold MSFT just charged my card $2.9k+. So it now ships. Let the journey begin in earnest."

I was speaking more metaphorically than physical - but my experience has also been that my day one pre-ordered SP, SP2, SP3 and other products ship to arrive on the "by date". In this case, I have a charge on my card, all right, but no change in the shipping status with a tracking number. But I have not been over-enamored of late with MSFT Store customer service. The Band, for example, was never in stock when I went to buy at the Store or brick and mortar establishments. Alas, they are irritating a loyal customer and SP and SB fanboy with stocking and shipping missteps.

Also agree that the SP3 and now (hopefully) the SB is a better on the road (and at home) bet than an Apple product. It is not the machines which are pretty high quality but rather the OS and programs that limit what I can do. Something as simple as taking an iPad to a meeting and using it to check folks in (and collect $$) is just not easy. And filing the information and retrieving it later is just not as straight forward as it is on a Win product.

Alas, young dstrauss, we shouldn't retreat to the flame wars of yesteryear with a "why I hate Apple" thread. Too much valid information and comparisons are lost in the noise of the flames. ("Noise of the flames" ???? - my metaphors suck today.)

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Unless Apple secretly revolutionized transistor tech, I highly doubt that the A9X will be able to match a Core ULV as some threads are claiming.

Most of these claims are based solely on looking just at (very suspect) geekbench benchmarks which already rate iOS ARM processors "in the same league" as Core processors.

From the linked charts, you can see the A9 gets a processor rating of 2499, but a Core i7-2820QM quad-core scores 2493—6 points lower!!!

I find it patently ridiculous that geekbench is rating a ~5W mobile processor above a modern full voltage 45W cpu (and a pretty fast one at that), which is why I never rely on geekbench for anything but a slight laugh.

But unfortunately, as soon as any new device is announced (eg. Surface devices), people immediately jump onto geekbench to do comparisons, which totally skews the comparison in favor of mobile cpus. This only fuels a new round of ridiculous claims of how mobile devices are eclipsing full notebooks in "raw power". :vbrolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015