Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

From reddit tread mentioned before.

[​IMG]

Looks like a slightly modified 940m with GDDR5 indeed.

soh5 likes this.
  2. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I dont know much about dGPU's, what does this mean for us? Is that good or bad? Is it worth the upgrade? How does it compare to the iGPU 520?

3. TheSpacePope

TheSpacePope Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not bad. Any lower and you could feel ripped off. Any higher and it might be a battery/heat concern. In any case, you will not be able to play 3D games at native resolution, but nobody should have expected to given the high native resolution.

I don't know how it compares to the integrated graphics, since it sounds like the CPU and the integrated graphics is where the new stuff actually is. The integrated graphics is supposed to have better support for high resolution, but not sure if it's better in any other way from HD 5500.

The step up from something similar to HD 5500 though, would be worth it in my opinion.

edit: actually, I'm going to edit to say it feels a little like a rip off just because it's the 940M with half the memory. From what I've been told, video card memory is more important at higher resolutions - this is pushing the resolution limits of a 13/14 inch laptop, but not even giving the same amount of video card memory that Nvidia intended for similarly sized laptops with lower native resolution

Vaga likes this.
  4. derylmccarty

derylmccarty Pen Pal - Newbie

Just finished reading all 63 pages of SB comments. Enjoyable and informative. While I do appreciate the intimate discussions on pen instruments from a technical perspective, I just use my SP3 (before that the SP and SP2) for note taking from WAAY too many boards and commissions meetings along with Office stuff, but including some rather large Access DBs. From an art and graphics perspective I am one of the vast unwashed who can't make a stick figure look like a stick figure. But I really understand light weight screen real estate and fully agree with dstrauss about eyes and age and two documents side by side. Both are reasons I pre-ordered the SB (i7, 16, 512). And as I finished reading the comments I checked in with my bank, and lo and behold MSFT just charged my card $2.9k+. So it now ships. Let the journey begin in earnest.

Utan-chan, ATIVQ, ikjadoon and 4 others like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

PL
    PLEASE give us your first person impressions! And enjoy!

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Reading through anything above 30 pages of forum post verbiage verges on the heroic.

Utan-chan, Vaga, johnchad14 and 2 others like this.
  7. FoX4305

FoX4305 Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you sure that your surface is now shipped ? I just talk to an agent from microsoft and he tells me that all surface will be ship the 26 oct. not before and that they don't charged cards but only authorize the full amount on the card (refer to the mail confirmation I received and it's true)...

8. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

Well, to give us an idea how amazing of a product the Surface Book is, let's compare the number of views the official Surface book intro video has to the iPad Pro official video.

As of Oct 20, 2015 9:44 Tokyo Time
    iPad Pro video 1,849,145
    Surface Book 4,785,857
    Surface Pro 4 2,665,371

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Steve S - can we start an "I HATE APPLE THREAD!"

I am so sick and tired already of the alleged "tech sites" comparing Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 to the iPad XL and declaring the iPad XL the "winner" for most users - what a crock of $#*} !

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

No doubt, the SB has stirred a lot of attention and interest. Along those lines, I dropped into my local Best Buy yesterday to see the SB for myself. There sat the various Surfaces - Atom Surfaces, Surface Pro's (3 and 4), but, alas, no SB. This Best Buy has a separate Microsoft section (not a small store) so I just knew they'd have a demo on hand. I inquired and they're not looking for any SB until the latter part of the month...go figure. I wanted to tell them that if they really want to boost their pre-order sales of the SB, they need to get their hands on a live one and have it fully displayed. I didn't though. If retail guys don't understand that then me telling them that won't really change anything. So, guess I'll have to wait a while just to SEE one in real life!