Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

On your SP3, you can resize the window to 5.6inch width (half width of the Clipboard display) and see it yourself. I did, and I think it's good enough for me (text is larger enough for long sessions). I agree our mileage may vary depending on our eye conditions.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

THANKS! I didn't now the width (11.2") - will give that a try!

Ok - that was fast - the SPro 3 is 10" wide; looks pretty good, but it is small. But if you don't want to hall the freight of 15" it may be a good compromise.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

16:9 might suit you better? Might be easier on the eyes you just won't see as much vertically.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks, but I really love 3:2 for tablet use. Just trying to minimize compromises.

soh5 likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I've been wondering. MS claimed the SB was the fasted 13" laptop ever... but really, given the 3:2 aspect ratio, it belongs in the 14" class when being compared to 16:9 laptops... Of course the conventional (and highly misleading) measure of a screen size is it's diagonal, but in reality the SB screen is actually a smidge larger than a 14.0" 16:9 laptop.

At 14" there are probably some significantly faster laptops available right? Not to diminish the SB of course. If I were in the market, I'd pick the SB in a heartbeat over any 14" laptop on the market, but I'm just wondering how inaccurate MS's statement would be if instead of classifying it as a 13" laptop they classified it according to the actual size of the screen.

6. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

So as the dGPU specs get slowly leaked or are assumed. Im starting to wonder if I should keep my pre order of the $1899 model of the surface book, settle for the base unit or just cancel it all together. In that $400 dollar jump you get twice the storage which I dont care too much about and from the sounds of it the dGPU might not really be worth it either. Is it going to be substantially better than the included intel 520 graphics? I would hope so for the price. I played with the device in the store again yesterday as I have almost everyday, :X And Im starting to feel like it might have to many compromises. I love the look and feel of it, its a great piece of art in engineering. However the sound was terrible, while some might not see this as a big deal, for the price I would like this all in one device to be good at most tasks.
    My next device (the surface book?) will be replacing my 2012 15 inch retina macbook pro with 650m 1gb dedicated graphics. I used this often to edit video, do blogging and listen to music while working on projects. The surface book says it has stereo sound and I appreciate it having front facing speakers, but I tried watching a few youtube music videos and it was really lacking in both volume and over all sound quality, sounded way more mono to me. While this isnt a deal breaker it still isnt ideal. Also the thing was actually impossible to open one handed and even difficult to open two handed. The idea was to sell my cintiq companion 2, I already sold my macbook, and just use the surface book to replace them both. The idea of having one device to fill both needs of on screen sketching of quick ideas and being powerful enough to edit videos is so appealing to me. I like the thought of not having to switch back and forth between devices but there seems to be a good amount of compromises for the price. Me switching back to windows from OS X as well as giving ntrig another chance which I swore I would never do, are both hard to swallow especially for that price tag.
    I guess im really just wondering your guys thoughts on the new device, is the $1899 model really worth the jump in price? Part of me wants to cancel and see what all the other OEMs have to offer in the coming months, the samsung rumored device sounds super tempting especially if it has the wacom EMR tech that I can use my studio pen with.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hate to dash your hope like this....but that Rumored Windows 10/Spen tablet from Samsung might not take too kindly to older EMR Pens like the Axiotron Studio Pen. Presumably any new S-pen tablets from Samsung will have the same build Digitizer found the Galaxy Note 5.....and while the Note 5 will recognize the Studio Pen....its virtually unusable because of the ridiculous amount of activation force needed. The Note 5's stock S-pen's activation force is almost at Cintiq Level....but only with the included Stock S-pen since it uses a new nib/tip assembly....the cost of which is gimped performance with older EMR pens. Even older Note S-pens from earlier Devices won't work well on the Note 5. Some pens you might have better luck with, like the pen that came with the Samsung Series 7 Slate....that I found works better but still isn't a pleasant experience because of the horrid offset. Ironically newer EMR Pens, like the one that came with the Thinkpad Tablet 10....which uses the newer tip/nib assembly.....was utterly dreadful on the Note 5. And given how old they are...the older Bamboo Galaxy/Feel It pens might not work well either. I'm hoping Wacom releases that new Bamboo Smart Pen soon. But untill they do....you should go into any new Samsung Device fully content with using the stock S-pen.

8. tabletartist4d

Yeah I was seeing that in the related thread, I didnt realize it was as bad as that tho. I guess including any wacom is better than ntrig for me.

9. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I like the 'ounce for ounce, pound for pound, this is the fastest laptop, ever' statement. It also has smaller bezels than most 14inch laptops. 13inch is more of a market term since people generally like smaller computers these days.
    On the contrary, that's one thing I appreciate - how sturdy the hinge is. If you have watched the event, watch how Panos can grab the whole laptop by just the tip of the screen is amazing. That means I can simply grab the screen, and flip the laptop around and lay the screen on desk instead of the keyboard - potentially with one hand. This instantly transforms the laptop into a tabletop within a couple seconds. Yes I calculated the torque of the base (800g*cos(50)) and that of the Clipboard (720g), the upside-down tabletop is still perfectly stable. I do have to build more muscle cells to flip the 3.48lb weight on a daily basis though. lol

10. tabletartist4d

I wasnt actually referencing the hinge which im quite fond of, I was rather referencing the strength of the magnets that close it and he lack of a substantial finger opening. While there is one its a bit awkward. Not a deal breaker but I feel like this should have been thought thru better.