Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lol?

ikjadoon likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Assuming my previous guestimates were correct, depending on the thermals on both machines, it is highly possible you could get 30% increase in sustained GPU performance over the i7 SP4.

That would make it a quad core wouldn't it? Perhaps these mysterious extra cores "elsewhere in the clipboard" are what Panos was referring to...

Vaga likes this.
  3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Maybe I should get the SP4... I want more screen space but I cant see myself paying that much more for a ~1.2" increase and a gpu that is no better than a 940m.

I got too excited too fast.

In the words of Bronsky, Wait and Hope. We'll see what the real benchmarks are before I go out and splurge.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks! That made it pretty straight forward even for me!

Well, since the SB i7/16/512 won't ship for 7-8 weeks (Christmas?) and i7/16/1TB is 1/22/16, I may pre-order and just watch the chips fall before I cancel the pre-order or my Amex fails.

OR - January is only 9 months from the SB 2 reveal...:D:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Bronsky likes this.
  5. dstrauss

Do you guys think the 13.5" screen will be big enough to look at two documents side by side - that is the real weakness of my 12" SPro 3 - its really good for one document, but not for comparing two, which I do a lot in my practice. The 12.3" SPro 4 is really no better (that's why I was such a big cheerleader for smart frame and a 13" laptop mode).

6. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would say possibly, depending on how zoomed in you need to be. I won't ask you about your eyes but given the resolution it could work. I know I'd be able too, but I have 20/10 vision. So I think it may be relative. But at 3000px wide I "see" no reason why two 1500px documents couldn't sit side by side. At least in my opinion.

7. dstrauss

The eyes are old, so don't hesitate to give your opinion. I have switched from contacts (bifocals) to progressive glasses, and it has actually helped. So actually I am thinking it may work. I just can't bring myself to lug a 15", even the new Dell XPS 15 Infinity - once you get use to 2-3 pounds, it is hard to go back.

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

One column is ~0.3" less than the S3 in portrait (if that helps).

9. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I remembered reading somewhere about your eyes.

I hear that. I've found myself in that same position now. Just can't go back to that weight. Which is funny since I remember years back justifying the weight of my 17" HP laptop which came in at just over 10lbs and tipped the scales at a back breaking 12.5 lbs with the power brick, which of course had to be carried everywhere given the battery life. Good grief have times changed. I don't think I'd be caught dead with anything over 4lbs these days and I don't like doing it.

The only reason my eyes are so good is I had Lasik done and had ridiculously good freakish' results. I'm very lucky.

10. dstrauss

Ha ha ha - it is amazing what a wuss I have become - used to think nothing of lugging a 7lb "portable" everywhere - now my puny muscles cry about a 4.8lb Dell XPS 15...good grief...