Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Performance wise... Nothing, but then again that should never have been expected. I can put a budget desktop together that would run circles around the SB for a few hundred bucks.

Vaga and soh5 like this.
  2. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

That's true, but I think those chips used the older SMX CUDA cores. NVIDIA claimed that 128 Maxwell CUDA cores (SMM) has 90% the performance of an older 192 Kepler CUDA cores (SMX).

Thus, it may be more similar to the NVIDIA GeForce 930M/840M. The 930M is being produced both with DDR3 and GDDR5. And the 930M has a 25W TDP, which fits with the extra 29 watts in the special power adapter of the dGPU SKUs. And the 930M has DX12 support with DX11 feature-level, also shown by the leak above.

That GDDR5 upgrade is no joke: we're looking at 40% to 70% faster performance compared to DDR3. Why was only 1GB included? I think space & power, actually. From the discussions on HBM, VRAM is kind of big and doesn't use an insignificant amount of power.

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The people here wont understand our pain...we already have a base MSRP markup compared to the States, then we pay up the nose on any form of shipping, and then now we have an exchange rate tax of +33%. Great times, eh?

I tell ya, if I didn't love this country so much... ;)

This table from the reddit thread gives the best estimation of the gpu prowess so far:
    Capture.JPG

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

The pen and size reduction would be the two things in the Surface Book's corner. Though honestly, I think the Vaio Z Canvas is the closer competitor since it has the same quad core i7 and a host of ports like the Dell.

thatcomicsguy and Mesosphere like this.
  5. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, but none of those match. We need 384 cores with GDDR5 in roughly 30W.

The 950M and 960M are pipe dreams. Those are 50-60W TDPs. The dGPU adapter only gives an extra 29W.

The only chip with 384 cores with GDDR5 is the 930M. And, interestingly, it's got a 30W TDP.

That's my prediction and I'll put money on it. (Wait, I meant to delete this sentence. But, it's already out there now. Ugh, curse my arrogance!)

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

OK all you graphics Gurus - what exactly are we getting in the SB anyway? I read that reddit thread, and they all speculated iti would be marginally better than the Iris graphics in the SPro 4...

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So it's looking like a custom GT 930M with GDDR5 and a clock speed in-between the 940M and 950M.

In terms of raw performance, my prediction is it will be roughly on par with the 940M in the TPY14 / Yoga 3.

The top end SP4 i7-6650U with Iris 540, according to notebookcheck's estimates, is roughly equal to a 920M.

So going by 3DMark11 scores, the SB would be ~2300 and the i7 SP4 ~1800. So we are looking at about 25% more raw graphics power, plus the advantages of Nvidia driver optimizations for games and CUDA support for Adobe/CAD.

Still a significant upgrade, in my opinion. :)

Utan-chan, dstrauss and ikjadoon like this.
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Also the partially decoupled thermal headroom will come into play in a lot of cases as well. Tasks which are both CPU and GPU intensive will probably run significantly faster using the dGPU.

soh5 likes this.
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good to confirm the NVMe SSD from Samsung meaning at least x3 better performance read/write than SP3.
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/insights/news/14101

The new NVMe-based SM951 SSD achieves sequential data read and write performance up to 2,260 megabytes per second (MB/s) and 1,600MB/s, respectively, while using Samsung’s leading-edge controller technology. These performance figures are the industry’s most advanced, with speeds four and three times faster than those of a typical SATA-based M.2 SSD which usually moves data at up to 540MB/s and 500MB/s, respectively.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

ikjadoon and Luft like this.
  10. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am going to wait and read the posts once the SB and the SP4 are in the hands of users and artists and see what the opinions are then...and then make a decision. Until such time it will be me and my CC1.