Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Also the partially decoupled thermal headroom will come into play in a lot of cases as well. Tasks which are both CPU and GPU intensive will probably run significantly faster using the dGPU.

soh5 likes this.
  2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good to confirm the NVMe SSD from Samsung meaning at least x3 better performance read/write than SP3.
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/insights/news/14101

The new NVMe-based SM951 SSD achieves sequential data read and write performance up to 2,260 megabytes per second (MB/s) and 1,600MB/s, respectively, while using Samsung’s leading-edge controller technology. These performance figures are the industry’s most advanced, with speeds four and three times faster than those of a typical SATA-based M.2 SSD which usually moves data at up to 540MB/s and 500MB/s, respectively.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

ikjadoon and Luft like this.
  3. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am going to wait and read the posts once the SB and the SP4 are in the hands of users and artists and see what the opinions are then...and then make a decision. Until such time it will be me and my CC1.

4. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

That's too bad, looks like it'll be closer to 940m then to 950m. 940m is an entry level GPU that could be found in much, much cheaper devices. I don't think I am ready to pay $2k for it. I think I'll pick i7 SP4 instead.

alextrela182 likes this.
  5. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't really believe that the SB with Nvidia is worth over i7 SP4 in terms of GPU performance.

If it is 30-40% minimum better performance then we can talk about pure advance over SP4 in terms of GPU speed.
    For only 10-15% maximum is totally useless for me.

Unless you prefer bigger screen or more like laptop device witch is the 2 key feature difference from SP4.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

wataru and Luft like this.
  6. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

Replace USB C with Thunderbolt 3 and we're basically thinking the same thing.
    Surface Book with at least 2GB GDDR5.

7. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

So I went to the Microsoft store here in Houston. They had the i5 base model in store. According to the guy at the store (who seemed rather knowledgeable and very excited to share his knowledge), the i7+GPU model has CPU cores split so there's 2 together and another 2 split elsewhere in the clipboard section (that didn't seem plausible to me). Other than that, he confirmed 1GB GDDR5 GPU, talked about the pen tips and overall made my experience at the store exciting. I thought the keyboards on the SB and the SP4 were amazing. No doubt better than the one on my Lenovo y570.

I also saw the Z Canvas, and I still really like that. I think the screen is pretty good, but there was a little bit of backlight bleed on the bottom edge. The speakers seemed better than the SB's but perhaps slightly more muddy. I liked both pens. I like the stand on the VAIO Z Canvas a lot. But I do feel the appreciable difference that the pen on the SB/SP4 had (felt much more like writing with a ballpoint pen on paper); SB/SP4 eraser was cool too. VAIO Z Canvas had a button to press and hold for erasing. VAIO Z Canvas keyboard and touchpad were nice, but the texture was much more like the sandstone material on the OnePlus 2 than a leather-like material I thought it would be. I like the shoulder buttons on the VAIO Z Canvas.

So here's my conundrum: do I buy a SB with only 1GB GDDR5 or a Z Canvas with Iris Pro 5200 with shared graphics RAM (with 16GB system RAM, that's pretty good). I get nVidia and skylake with one and quad core and AdobeRGB with the other. Same SSD and amount of RAM.

Coming from the y570 (which has a 1GB GDDR5 GT555M), knowing how often the video RAM gets full editing video (definitely even more of an issue with 4K), and knowing that modern games often require 2GB Graphics RAM for high resolution textures, I am not entirely sure of either option. Why the heck would Microsoft not just undervolt a 940 or 950m?! The nVidia GPU and skylake have support for h.265 hardware decoding whereas skylake doesn't, and that could become important for 4k video editing. My guess is either device with l will be fine for CAD, but overall nVidia will have more optimised drivers for games and productivity programs.

Any suggestions? Anything I missed in my analysis?

8. MOFO

MOFO Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm starting to agree with this more and more since the info on the DGPU started trickling in, all I know is the Surface Book has to perform significantly better than the Iris SP4 to be worth it ( for me anyway and yes I realize people have different needs with what they want to do ;) ).

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm really not very familiar with mobile GPU sku's. My GPU usage is mostly with "CUDA only" desktop Tesla cards. But even if the theoretical output of the SP4 Iris and SB dGPU are in the same ballpark, in how many real life use cases will the fact that the Iris GPU is sharing at 15W TDP with the CPU not result in real world performance being significantly less than on the SB with (mostly) decoupled 15W and ~29W TDPs?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  10. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

~ 940 performance card can't play modern games on high settings anyway, so 1GB should not be an issue. It'll be OK to play 1200x800 with medium details.

ikjadoon likes this.