Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, I think your deductions are likely spot on, but it is crazy that I haven't seen any official mention that the top end SB is quad core. Seems like that would be a very basic feature they should be highlighting (on the pre-order page/ spec sheet)...

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I'm not clear, the models without the dedicated GPU still get the hard keyboard? It looks like that's the case on the order page as it still lists whats in the box as including the "surface book" and not just the tablet portion. I'm surprised the surface book is lighter than the SP4.

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Surface Pro: The tablet that can also be a laptop

Surface Book: The laptop that can also be a tablet

Decide which device better suits your needs and pick your poison.

4. Mesosphere

I think it has a lot less battery. From the design pictures in the stream in looked like the keyboard was stuffed full of battery, so with 12 hours total, I'm guessing the SB slate has less battery than the SP4.

5. Mesosphere

I'm thinking much along the same lines as you... but the SB really has me thinking it could be nearing paradigm shift territory for me... Is the SB the tablet that can replace my desktop(s) (work and home). It can't replace my headless Linux servers, but it could come close to replacing my windows boxes that drive my home and work office monitors, particularly considering the new Surface Dock.

czm2000 likes this.
  6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe. But for me there's 2 points holding me back: size and using everything at the same time. The second point you've likely already figured out.

When I'm at home, I'm often note-taking and marking up scientific research with my SP3 flat on my desk while I have other pertinent information on my dual-monitor setup.

Docking the SP4 would render it unusable for note-taking? Or does the display dock allow you to still take notes while driving 2 other displays? Or do you use wireless display tech? I've never really messed with display tech before.

I also have 2TB+ storage in my desktop, but I guess if I was to change everything up I could transition to NAS storage at home for movies and all my files, etc. Still comes back to size though. I felt the SP3 was pushing the limits of tablet size for me, and now this would be even bigger and have no kickstand.

My gut feeling is it's still a laptop that can be a tablet when you want it to be, but it may not be an ideal tablet.

And at the end of the day, even with a maxed out Surface Book, it's still not really going to touch my desktop, which is an m-ITX (size of a shoebox) and ended up being cheaper to build.

7. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Same here, couldn't have been less interested with it when they first showed it. Thought it was a MS knockoff of the Air, thought who cares we've seen the ultrabooks before. Then they showed the video, wow, very cool. The big disappointment was that I can't have one until the end of the month. Going back tonight to have some hands-on time.

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Pricing Options
    128 GB/Core i5/8GB $1499
    256 GB/Core i5/8GB $1599
    256 GB/Core i5/8GB/dGPU $1899
    256 GB/Core i7/8GB/dGPU $2099
    512 GB/Core i7/16GB/dGPU $2699

9. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Mesosphere

You seem to have missed the important change to the dock. It now connects via a wire (no useless immobile slab), so yes, you can continue to use it as a tablet while docked!

I'm still not 100% sold on the idea though (for example I can't drive my 4k TV which I use as a computer monitor since the dock lacks HDMI 2.0).