Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, luckily my most recent TV upgrade cycle came the year before the last manufacturers axed the technology. Hopefully in ~3+ years when it is time for another TV upgrade OLED TVs will be able to affordably pick up where Plasma left off.

2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

You're welcome and thanks :)

ikjadoon likes this.
  3. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

I promise there was a point to the post :D. The reason why I mentioned the GPU (CUDA) in terms of 2d is because one of my favorite painting programs utilizes it. GPU acceleration is being implemented in a lot of applications nowadays so I believe it's a very important feature. In any case, if you like working with painterly art software, check out PaintStorm. In my opinion its like a cross between Painter and Clip Paint. Very fun application to use.

I'm hoping that in the next few weeks we'll get some SP4/SB/iPad Pro reviews from artists, and that'll make deciding what to get a lot easier. That's always a lot better than just comparing specs. Exciting times :).

4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey, could you explain to me what's going on the with the 460? Dead ringer = it is cancelled? Or it is going to be a bad device for some reason?

I am considering getting a 460 - What are your thoughts on the cons of the 460?

5. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't really offer an opinion on the 460 since I've never used it. But if you look at the service manual this new version of the Yoga 14 is the same as the 460 that was shown at IFA right down to the Pro Pen (stylus) and all the ports and where they're located. Pretty much twins.

I don't think it's any more complicated than what Sher said and that's that this version of the TPY 14 is simply an exclusive pre-configured version that only Best Buy gets.

Now why there's a delay on the 460 when they clearly could release it given this new version of the TPY 14 is now available is beyond my knowledge. But suffice it to say Lenovo has its reasons and they don't always make sense to me.

That said, I'm looking forward to getting this and testing it and upgrading it where I can. I really enjoyed my previous TPY 14 and the only reason I got rid of it is it did not have the stylus support yet when I had bought it this past spring. Hopefully now I'll be able to make better use of it. If not I'll probably jump into the SB or Canvas Z. Maybe by the spring the SB will have come down a hundred or two on price (and or more info on dGPU) or the Canvas Z will have been updated to Skylake. Either would move me much closer to pulling the trigger again on one of them if I'm not totally satisfied with the latest iteration of the TPY 14.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  6. Dungeoness Claw

Dungeoness Claw Pen Pal - Newbie

Just played with SB in MS store.
    The keyboard wont work when the clipboard is attached backwards.

The maximum opening angle is about 125-128 degrees. A little shy from 130 degrees. Which is about the same opening as the Macbook air.

wataru likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

How did you determine this? (Since Lisa said 110)

8. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Mesosphere

I see you uncovered the original designs for the dynamic fulcrum hinge. Nice find!

czm2000 likes this.
  10. Dungeoness Claw

Dungeoness Claw Pen Pal - Newbie

Used a protractor.

Utan-chan and Mesosphere like this.