Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

Its much, much faster than the SB, as Mesosphere says its a 47W TDP quad core processor, so it needs to be thicker. Also! the screen is probably a little (or a lot) dimmer than the SB, likely on account of its being 95% of Adobe RGB - If I had to guess (based on the surface (not pro) 3), I would bet that the SB is only going to be around 75% of Adobe RGB. I'm not certain on this, but its my understanding that wide color gamut + calibration can require sacrificing some maximum brightness.

ALSO! the "clipboard" part of the SB only has an 18Wh battery, while the Vaio z has a crazy 63Wh battery. Once you add the rest of the SB battery by attaching the keyboard part, its just as thick.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Reminds me of how Plasma TVs get a bad wrap for looking dim in brightly lit showroom floors... despite being superior to even the highest end LCDs in just about every respect other than brightness (and power efficiency).

Vaga likes this.
  3. delimeat567

delimeat567 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it just me who feels like SB is in a class on it's own? The Vaio Z Slate is more of a comparison to the SP4 than the SB.

4. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

My guess is that the extremely complex hinge design didn't easily allow for a greater angle.

5. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

damn looking at the vaio canvas specs im kind of jealous. I wish they would have given us one of those powerful i7 processors in the SB. I would have been more inclined to drop the extra 800 dollars. But i realize thats not doable in the form factor. The vaio canvas is a beast too bad it does have a keyboard dock.

Also I went back to the microsoft store to play with the SB as i have been almost daily and while i was there i asked if we can use a student discount when we pick it up and they said yes 10 percent off.

6. Dungeoness Claw

Dungeoness Claw Pen Pal - Newbie

When you play with the SB, did the opening angle bothered you while you standing up and the SB on the table?

7. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I did test this a few days ago and noticed it didnt go back super far. I would say about the same as my macbook pro. It was usable standing but I dont see myself doing that at all. So no I wouldnt say it bothered me but I really cant think of a situation where this would be necessary. I couldnt imagine that position being good for your back. Do you use it that way often? Just curious of the scenario.

Dungeoness Claw likes this.
  8. Dungeoness Claw

Dungeoness Claw Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the information. Thats very useful.
    Personally, i do a lot of presentations while standing up with the computer on the desk.
    I am also attending conferences often so lapability is important. If it does have an angle of 110 degrees which is the same as the surface pro 1 on kick stand mode, it can hardly be used comfortably on lap.

9. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, I was torn but decided to cancel my SB order for now. I think the reality set in and I realized I was paying $3,000 for something I didn't even know what all the components were (dGPU).

Lenovo appears to have launched a dead ringer for the 460 (Best Buy exclusive TPY 14 model with stylus and 2GB DGPU nVidia 940m). The only thing I didn't like about my last TPY 14 was it didn't have a stylus. Plus if Lenovo had gotten their crap together, I'd have already bought a 460.

So I'm gonna hang with that for a while. At less than half the cost ($999 +upgrades) I really don't have anything to lose. By the spring maybe prices will have normalized a bit too on the SB.

Plus when you consider the only main performance difference (that's important to me) is an i5 Skylake in the TPY 14 (which has been rated with performance similar to an i7 Haswell) but with a 2GB dGPU its a great value.

Can't wait to be jealous and read the feedback from all you early SB owners. Still very exciting.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Great points - we all need to remember that MS wants to be BMW (or at least a Lexus) to Apple's Mercedes.

Plasma=Betamax; unfortunately it happens all the time in tech...

Lisa - just wanted to thank you for all the great reviews you do!