Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

First of all, thanks for everyone's concerns on my 180 degree changes in decision makings. That's why I love our TPCR community. I had derided SP4's lack of improvement compared to SP3, laughed at SB's cumbersomeness compared to SP, while myself going for a SP4 and now a SB. I guess this reflects how quickly my state of mind changes as new realization pours in. LOL.

To clear the confusion, first I want to state that I love my SP3, heart and soul (and so would be SP4). So you can imagine how painful it is for me to break up with my SP. I have run this (how to accommodate SP4 or SB to my need) a thousand times (okay, I admit it's a little exaggerated) in my head. My quest for a new device has always been - whether it will boost my productivity significantly compared to my existing device (in this case, my entry i5 SP3), which would never reach the same effect in upgrades due to its physical limitations. I justified my upgrade to 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD (didn't opt for 1TB as my personal file server will serve my large data storage instead), where the SP4 nails them perfectly. The only disappointment is the lack of a larger screen estate (smart frame, remember?). But the larger screen hasn't struck me until a couple of days ago ... when I found that I could multi-task much better on the SB's larger screen (theoretically). With OneNote docked and increased screen estate, I can finally do one thing well without hitting the maximize button, and then some. Reading books has never been more natural with two pages flipping while maintaining 'pen-ability' (it is still 'theoretical' of course until proven). It's a screen-estate-wise manifest of 'two extra processors, 2x faster' (sorry Pano) in terms of productivity boost. Both are over exaggerated of course.

With SP3, I can bend the device to my need (thanks @dstrauss) ... until it hits a hard place. My use of SP3 has transformed the way that I worked, and I benefit as I grow more productive every day. But I do feel the pinch every time I resorted to portrait mode to read a paper, or work on some 'bigger' project (pun intended). I even bought a portable pen-able USB monitor to give me that extra screen estate when I was on the move ... if you are in the market, you'll understand how few options these portable monitors are (and at a affordable price). You would think a 15inch would suit me better, but I enjoy the mobility of smaller devices and greatly appreciate the agility I can have when I need it. I think it's time for me to move on ... to a bigger device.

Only this time I have to bend myself to the device (in Pano's word, adapt to the device) rather than bend the device to my need. My imaginary set-ups for the SB (typing while inserting backwards, ground the screen instead of the keyboard, even setting up Bluetooth peripherals, etc) are my hopeless struggles to make up for the loss in convenience that SP3 has brought me. In essence SB is a hybrid device, much like my ill-fortuned Asus Vivotab (Asus transformer, remember?). So I know what I am dealing with (tablet + battery hefty keyboard dock) and what to expect. My only gripe on the Surface Book is its price and lack of configuration options, and lack of OEM options for a 13~14inch penable, high PPI hybrid device (hybrid = detachable using TPCR's terminologies). Would love to hear any OEM option and look into that. In fact, a 3:2 High PPI version of Vaio Duo 13 or Flip 13 would fit my need PERFECTLY... if only Sony still makes laptops.

Again putting so much bet on the SB is hard given that a SP5 'Plus' may be around the corner next year ... until then I'll continue to envy all you SP users. It's matter of time before OEMs copy the larger tablet format ... and I may finally have cheaper (and hopefully better) alternatives. I guess learning to cope with compromises is a given coming from a die-hard tablet pc fan. There is no absolute loyalty and convenience, but there is always a better compromise. The Surface Book is my new compromise (for more productivity vs. mobility). I hope I like my choice and you'll like yours.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nothing to add, I just want to note that this post is TPCR in a nutshell, and why I still enjoy visiting the site daily. Positive thoughtful members sharing their thoughts on how to improve productivity and/or sharing their struggles with tech addiction. :D

Vaga, soh5, wataru and 6 others like this.
  3. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds good. This is a lot of money to drop on a new device. Would just hate to see you order something that you would immediately regret. :thumbsup:

4. Dungeoness Claw

Dungeoness Claw Pen Pal - Newbie

I am not even sure that the screen opens up to a 135 degree. From the hands-on videos and demos posted online, I used a protractor to measure the open to be about 110 degree.

We do not have SB on demo in Microsoft stores in Canada yet. Can someone from the US confirm the angle?

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. Dungeoness Claw

I guess if just typing shortcuts or enter, delete etc. That might be ok.

6. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

That's right-- it opens to around 110 degrees. I was a bit surprised it didn't go back further.

Dungeoness Claw and Mesosphere like this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Wow, so it maximizes at about the angle the first gen Surfaces do then (they did claim 22 degrees was "perfect")... that is the downside of detachable of course. I wonder if that was done out of an abundance of caution (like using it your lap with down sloped legs). If a bunch of people end up breaking these $2000 dollar laptops because they toppled onto the ground that would probably be some bad press =P

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  8. Dungeoness Claw

Thats actually my biggest concern.
    Macbook Pro opens at about 135 degree and Macbook Air about 120.
    110 may turns out to be very uncomfortable to be used on lap.

The worst case scenario would be return it and get a SP4.

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I tried that new Vaio slate with Quad Core CPU out... What is going on with that screen.... Wow its horrible, its so thick.

tabletartist4d likes this.
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

47W TDP