Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Tangent to your point, but while your stuck with the i5 if you order one with it, the SSD is easily user upgradeable (for a fraction of the cost).

I think the SB pricing is fine for the market it is aiming at (MacBook Pro sized wallets). The OEMs can fill in for the more budget consious windows users. There are definately better bang/buck devices to be had, and I think that is how MS wants it to be. The SB is for those that want no expense spared and no corners cut for the sake of price. Hence the apparent effort that went in to engineering details like the dynamic fulcrum hinge, muscle wire, etc. MS isn't trying to get a SB in everyones hands their trying to set standard for the best of what a windows device can be... sparing no expense. That means putting effort into things that don't show up on a spec sheet comparison.

dstrauss and Kumabjorn like this.
  2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Trying to seriously understand your thought process. What are you using this machine for? You preordered a SB with a dGPU, but you were going to just leave the keyboard at home? You realize you'd be tied to a wall outlet every 3 hours charging the thing?

Maybe your current setup + $100 Kindle would be the better choice.

3. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That wasn't my point and I even said that while you may be right about the running out part, my point was mostly addressing your opinion that they had only introduced concept models and were going to wait to make them until they had orders was undoubtedly not possible, and not the reason they would run out. Not some hypothetical, or conspiracy type theory, but just plain demand exceeding supply.

Also, just because someone can find another to agree with them (podcast or otherwise) does not a fact make. If that were true the world would still be flat.

I'm of the mind that a company should not stop taking orders if they run out, but rather change the customers expectations about the delivery date.

4. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea this doesn't make much sense to me, either. Lots of complaints about the surface book having things they don't want but then they order it.

5. Mesosphere

I was just thinking about your use case with the SB. Even ignoring the upside down problem, what would you do about the fact that the SB only opens up at a 45 degree angle?

6. Dungeoness Claw

Dungeoness Claw Pen Pal - Newbie

I think this is exactly what they are doing right now.

czm2000 likes this.
  7. Dungeoness Claw

Dungeoness Claw Pen Pal - Newbie

Flip it like this? assuming the keyboard does work at this position.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  8. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How do you type with the screen in the way?

9. IsaacKuo

IsaacKuo Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not positive I understand what you mean by "opens up at a 45 degree angle", but if it means what I think it means, then I guess I'm out of luck. A couple people suggested the Sony Vaio Z Canvas to me, which is a much better fit to my style of drawing with one hand while operating the keyboard with my other hand (but still not really what I want, because something with two separate pieces is still a bit clumsy, to me. I'd like to be able to just fold open and get drawing, and fold closed and get going).

I just assumed the SB could fold flat (open 180 degrees), but if it can only open to a maximum of 135 degrees then that entirely kills any interest I have in it. I avoid buying laptops which can't open 180 degrees.

10. Mesosphere

You understand what I mean (unfortunately for your intended use case).