Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Hey thannks for your opinion. yes tilt is overrated. i like barrel rotation. Im not sure what your point was- yes i am getting cheap penabled tablet- the SP4 core M and apple ipad pro. going to try them both out and keep my favorite. I considered the SB, it SB is a very good computer, get it if you need it. i already have the 16gb CC2 I7 so SB is not an improvement for me. It lacks features i like to use. CPU geekmark benchmarks show only a tiny improvement over my CC2. i do more than just comics ink and color style, so barrel rotation and tilt is something i prefer to have. some like it some dont. its just my personal preference.

im just a 2d artist so i dont need a GPU. there are no drawing/painting painting features that benefit from dGPU. if i ever do video, i use a workstation GPU not a laptop GPU. but this is rare and only hobby stuff for now. I do use zbrush occasionally, its entirely CPU and memory bound. Dgpu wont speed it up at all. i dont know or care about maya, i use MODO for solid modeling (i rarely do do this- i usually just draw my in perspective), and if i ever need to render something i use my workstation CPU's. Way faster than a laptop Dgpu.

Honestly, if the SB pen performs better than the wacom i will get it. It is no doubt a fine computer in many ways.

2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Can I still use the keyboard if the screen is inserted backwards? like this picture (from theVerge)

[​IMG]

I am asking this because I want to use the keyboard in tablet mode, even if the screen is facing against me... Windows without keyboard is a no-go.

On my Surface, if I insert the keyboard backwards, it won't work.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not quite - $10,000 in 1983 is roughly he equivalent of $24,000 today...for a true comparison of relative value, you could buy NINE top of the line Surface Books for the price of ONE Lisa in 1983 - that is insane value for your money...

thatcomicsguy and Kumabjorn like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

And yet we grumble and mumble over a Benjamin or two. No wonder the race to the bottom never ends.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

dstrauss likes this.
  5. wataru

Here is a direct size comparison of SP4's and SB's display. I think the Surface Book might make a perfect reading device for two pages side-by-side.

Picture1.png

ikjadoon likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yep, that's one appeal the SB has for me. Half the landscape width is only ~0.3" narrower than the S3 in portrait which I consider to be pretty much the perfect width. It is the perfect size for taking notes with OneNote in one column and some reference material in the other.

soh5 likes this.
  7. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the future, you will be able
    to fold it in half or thirds.
    Then stretch out the screen to the
    desired size for the moments need.

PS
    Meso, you have an old M400 Tablet PC
    that still works?

8. wataru

I find that the keyboard with its awkward mechanism and dGPU have no appeal to me. The only appeal of SB to me ... is the larger, high PPI display. Too bad MS does not sell the tablet alone. I can live with the tablet + docking station + bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Thats exactly why I went SB over SP4.

10. Dungeoness Claw

Dungeoness Claw Pen Pal - Newbie

Just pre-ordered i5 dGPU. The educational discount is finally available in Canada.
    Still very expensive.

tabletartist4d likes this.