Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It's not laggy enough for me.

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

lol

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  3. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

All the models are sold out on Microsoft.com. :(

Contrary to popular belief, selling out / "out of stock" is bad for a company. There are lots of potential sales that could be lost. You want your supply to meet your demand. This is from my introduction to economics class, haha.

But, it's unusual that all of them sold out at relatively the same time. Like, really weird. Are they all actually equally popular? What I want to think is that they're stopping pre-orders so that they can add a USB type-C port, hahaha

Vaga likes this.
  4. Ian Fearon

Ian Fearon Pen Pal - Newbie

Or maybe they never existed. Maybe we only saw a prototype and they won't build them until they know what the market wants. What configuration did they show at the launch?

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

They totally left out a game port, a 25 pin serial port, man, and zero PCMCIA slots, the bare minimum for gaming as we old schoolers do it. I don't suppose they want us playing old school games like Descent on this since there is no DRM and they gotta have their DRM because of dem monies and Pirate Bay. So keeping us from having these necessities is the only way they maintain their monopolistic empire. Do I send my nasty gram to Bill, Steve or Satya? ;)

6. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That doesn't make much sense when you consider supply chain management. Not to knock your opinion, but they would have had to order the necessary components back in August (most likely) to meet any pre-sold orders in October.

While you may be correct about it not being a good thing to run out, this is just a good old fashion case of they sold more than they had parts to build. It really can be that simple.

And rather than not be able to meet their "Ships By Oct 24th" commitment they had to pull certain models from pre-order.

That's all.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. delimeat567

delimeat567 Pen Pal - Newbie

Agreed. It should be more important to meet existing preorders from a consumer-oriented point of view. But, the fact that the product is sold out is still a good sign - even if it does mean they lose some customers.

Customer preference would also matter. Surface Book is (dare I say) an entirely unique product. No one can quite bring the same features to the table with the same quality. Sure, you could get an ASUS Transformer for far less, but it really is not designed for the same audience/purpose. So, does Microsoft really lose that many sales for their unique flagship product when they do not yet really have any competition in the exact market?

Again, all that being said, if you were willing to bend your specifications a bit, you could probably settle for a SP4, or any number of other 2-in-1 laptops from ASUS, Acer, Lenovo, HP, etc.

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You've learned all you need to know about business in Economics 101. I think you can leave college now and become CEO of a mega-corporation.

You're ready.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Send it to Bernie Sanders...he'll have a sympathetic, but equally impotent, ear...

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

I personally think that the tilt functionality is a bit over rated to be honest. I've used plenty of portable penabled computers, and have owned cintiqs and regular wacom tablets. In my opinion it comes down to screen size, tip feel, and pressure sensitivity. I work with people who ink and color on a daily basis, and they almost never use the tilt function. Plenty of my friends use both the CC2 and the Surface, and it really is about having a professional art device which supports the necessary application ecosystem. If you're looking for a digital sketchbook, I think you can use just about the majority of cheap penabled tablets out there. If you're looking for a professional art device that runs Painter, Photoshop, PaintStorm, Clip Paint, and even Premiere, After Effects, Maya, Zbrush etc, then it's between the Wacom portable machines and the Surface Pro/Book line. The great thing about the Surface Book though is the Nvidia GPU which comes in handy with a lot of professional applications.