Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tech marketing and nutritional marketing are now on a level playing field: those who have no idea will consume and re-hash statements like they know what they're talking about, and those of us that study this stuff for a living will deconstruct and shake our heads.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Surface Book: twice as many cores as one MacBook Pro core, part of a nutritious breakfast!

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

How did the hover distance compare to Wacom EMR? Just doing a quick eyeball on my Wacom UD tablets on hand, I can get about .7" on my EP121 and about 1" on my i7 Stylus.

4. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I would say its around .7 inches. I added a video, I know it hard to tell from the angle but hopefully it helps give you an idea. For he the distance is mostly important for the palm rejections and I had no issue with palm rejection.

ile, Utan-chan, Marty and 1 other person like this.
  5. tobase

tobase Pen Pal - Newbie

So which one is better to work on when drawing, especially traditional-style linework? CC2 or SP4/SB? Cintiq Companion 2 was my first choice, until Surface Book came along.

Right now, I'm really considering going for Surface Book due to better hardware, but I really want to know which one is comfortable for drawing. Like when drawing on screen, does it feel like almost drawing on paper? Does the pen have good grip, and is it comfortable enough for long hours of drawing and such?

To those who tried both the Cintiq and Surface Pro 4 or Book, how do they compare?

Also, if you guys use Manga Studio 5 and Photoshop CS5, does it work well with Windows 10, or is it a bit buggy?

6. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

How stable is the screen in laptop mode? I recall reading a wobble mention earlier in the thread, want to see if there's any differing experiences there. I feel like most of us Surface users reguarly are banging on the screen with our fingers even in laptop mode, so...could be a dealbreaker in this choice for me (no power to solo tab was before, but looks like that's a non-issue!)

7. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can see screen wobble a little even when the SB is just moved. You only have to watch a video of it being used to see that. So if a really sturdy screen on presentation mode or any variation thereof is a requirement for you, better to look elsewhere.

That said, mines on order and I can't wait to get it :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    johnchad14 likes this.
  8. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

The pen is great, not sure which nib they had installed in the store but i remember how great the friction felt. Just right, not like writing on glass, also the eraser was incredible they really hit the nail on the head and made it feel very natural. The wobble wasnt terrible like when I was typing for instance it didnt bounce all over the place, not any more than my macbook pro. The hinge is super rigid when the slate isnt attached however has the perfect amount of give when it is. It might not be rigid enough to draw on tilted back, i tried today and while I was able to, i kept feeling like I would push the screen backwards if i applied to much pen pressure. If possible I would say head to your nearest store and play with one yourself. Personally im sold and pre ordered one today.

9. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, don't seem to have an option to try one in person yet as nothing close has them. I'm not in a big rush to decide I suppose anyway, just excited to be deciding?

czm2000 likes this.
  10. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a very difficult proposition for me. The only one that's ruled out for me is the 460 (my experience with Lenovo is mediocre at best having bought their highest-end laptop).

I'm looking for a single machine that can be used for general purpose note-taking with 7+ hr battery; Color Accurate screen; dGPU (external or internal) for rendering modern games at least at High 900p, Video Editing, and CAD.

Personally, my selection has been narrowed down to:
    Surface Book with only 1GB DDR5 graphics card that we know literally nothing about, An XPS 12 with Core m5 and fixed hinge but 2 Thunderbolt 3 Ports (for external Graphics Cards!), a VAIO Z Canvas with AdobeRGB screen and Iris Pro 5200 (but no H.265 hardware accelerated support for video editing :( ) or an Acer Aspire R13 with Skylake and Thunderbolt 3 but no removable tablet portion.

Asus, may be it's time to revive your Transformer Book series with something monstrous!