Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

From this article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2989...-surface-pro-4-chips-and-why-they-matter.html

tl;dr
    The announcement comment about "two extra cores" did not mean a quad core i7. The i7 chip is a dual-core, specifically the i7-6650U. Too bad.

"Specifically, the high-end “clipboard” tablet portion of the Surface Book uses a dual-core Intel Core i7-6600U chip with Intel’s HD Graphics 520 integrated GPU inside, Microsoft confirmed. The premium version of the Surface Pro 4 uses a Core i7-6650U with Intel’s premium graphics, the Intel Iris 540.

"Microsoft also confirmed some details of the GPU inside the base of the Surface Book. “[The] Surface Book with the optional discrete GPU uses a custom Nvidia GeForce GPU designed for Surface Book and based on the Maxwell architecture. Featuring 1GB GDDR5 high-speed memory, it was customized to deliver accelerated graphics performance within Surface Book’s versatile form factor,” Microsoft said in a statement.

"Microsoft also revealed which processors are used in the other versions of the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4, but not the clock speeds.

"Why this matters: You could be paying $2,699 for the premium version of the Surface Book. So, is it worth it?

"Much of the confusion was caused during Tuesday’s unveiling of the Surface Book, when Microsoft’s corporate vice president for Surface Computing Panos Panay said that 'by adding the discrete GPU, two extra processors, it fundamentally makes Surface Book two times faster than the MacBook Pro.' That had a lot of folks wondering if Microsoft hadn’t somehow magically jammed a quad-core CPU into the thin tablet body of the Surface Book."

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I posted this above, but, yea, I really wish they would have clarified what he did mean in their statement.

3. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG] Hey everyone I stopped by the store earlier to try them out and while there was a line for the surface book I played with it for a few minutes. This video I made was from the surface 4 but used the same technology as the book. Overall im very impressed with both devices. The store worker showed us that the adapter can in fact charge the tablet portion of the book itself, she also was whispering something about the 1tb model to a man who asked. They slowly moved away from me while they were talking about it so I couldnt quite hear what she said. I will ask about it tomorrow when I go back on my way home from errands. Over all im really impressed with the new pen tech and these devices in general. I will likely try to sell my macbook pro, and cintiq companion 2 and replace them with the surface book. The hover distance is way better, the tracking had very little noticeable lag and the palm rejection was great! The new eraser was also awesome, the material they used made it feel like youre actually using an eraser, even more so than a cintiq. I was initially worried about it accidentally clicking and activating one note but they engineered it to be just the right amount of pressure needed for a click as apposed to just erasing. Also I was worried that the magnet wouldnt hold it to the side well enough. That is not the case. The magnet was really quite strong. As for the hinge being crushed in a bag, i dont see this happening either. The hinge was very sturdy, I squeezed it a bit and noticed no give or movement. BRAVO Microsoft! Youre really on track now. I also tried the viao canvas and it was a pretty laughable device. Sorry to say but I would never consider it. The screen was incredibly reflective and dim.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There'd be so many neat accessories on the market by now if that was the case, but alas, I believe the Surface connector is a heavily guarded Microsoft secret.

5. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only possible option would have been i7 6567u CPU witch is the fastest dual core with 28W TDP as I mention at SP4 thread.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-6567U-Notebook-Processor.149848.0.html
    http://ark.intel.com/products/91167/Intel-Core-i7-6567U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz
    Pure Quad core mean more than 35W TDP and it's impossible to put that kind of monster to such device like tablet with that thickness.

Only if MS put that kind of CPU in the dock and not in the tablet.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Vaga likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

There is a 25W quad core as well, but I think maybe it isn't available quite yet. Anyway, it seems clear now that it doesn't have it. When he said "two extra processors", it definitely stood out. Even at 25W, it is not something I would have expected they could pull off in such a light weight slate, but ... he said what he said.

Honestly it doesn't make a difference to me. As cool as the SB is, I have no need for one (quad core or otherwise). I'm just very curious what he did mean if not quad core. Did he simply miss speak?

7. Tim Q

Tim Q Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love to change my 1st gen ThinkPad Yoga for this, but as a student in Australia, the prices are absolutely gut-wrenching.

Starting at $2300 AUD for the base i5, 128GB SSD and no dGPU all the way to an eye-watering $4200 AUD for the top end (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msaus/en_AU/pdp/productID.326556100).

Maybe I'll check back in year when the onsite warranty runs out on my Yoga for the SB2 or a used SB.

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Probably that happened at the end.:p

Sent from my iPad Air 2

9. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I heard him say '2x processors' at first, then he went on to say 2x performance, which made me think he said '2 extra processors' instead of '2x processors'. Now that the CPU is confirmed, I think he meant by '2x processors', which mostly likely means the CPU + GPU

'By adding the discrete GPU - 2x processors, it fundamentally makes it two times faster than the MacBook Pro' - this makes much better sense. I agree it's very misleading because GPU is not generally counted as CPU equivalent. The math does not add up either because the CPU and GPU don't usually work in the same field or together.

This is the same crap as Apple's claim of iPad Pro's 'faster than 80% portable PC' - as if iPad Pro can perform the same task as Windows PC - even if the A9X is equivalent to i3~i5 performance. So the iPad statement is only meaningful in benchmarks, no more. Pano's statement of two processors being equal to 2x performance only stands when you specifically run programs that supports simultaneous CPU and GPU computing - but apparently that's a very limited condition.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. Mesosphere

I'm pretty sure he said 2 extra processors, but, yea, I strongly suspect 2x (or something like that) is what he meant to say.