Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

So it is quad core then? I haven't seen anything in the spec sheets that even says what series of chips they are using.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

But a whole 4% lighter than my ThinkPad Yoga 12. Which I only bought because of the non-ideal lapability of the Surface line. At the rate that I'm going through devices and the depreciation on these things, I'm burning through about $100/mo in tech expenses. Maybe it is time to have a stern conversation with myself about finances. :eek:

Vaga, Azzart, czm2000 and 1 other person like this.
  3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

A year and a half ago I paid 2600 USD for a similar device with 4600U CPU, HD4400 graphics, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and 2560x1440 pixel resolution, and a digital pen. Now I can get the pen, RAM and SSD, plus upgraded CPU, dedicated GPU, 3000x2000 pixel resolution AND a detachable screen for 1900 USD. That's 700 USD less for a 2x or 3x improvement in performance, and a much more comfortable tablet experience, without compromising the laptop experience.

At the time, I was looking at the SP3 and thinking "I can't buy that, the keyboard sucks! I can't put it on my lap! This isn't an all-in-one device!"

Now I'm thinking, "this is an all-in-one device and it's dirt cheap compared to what I bought a year and a half ago."

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. JoeS

Although (nitpicking here) we do lose the kickstand. So if you take off the screen for some lightweight media time, you'll be holding the screen or finding some other way to prop it up.

5. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

He didn't explicitly said anything about spec he was using at the event but assuming the one in his hand was the top line which is i7 + 2 more cores claims and 2x raw performance. Nothing come across except 4-cores

====================
    My prediction of the dGPU is GTX950M or GTX960M. Why? GDDR5 only comes minimum at GTX950M, anything lower is DDR3 (Source)
    OR....
    They ask nvidia to do a custom chip with ultra low power consumption, which is.... highly improbable

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. seeyar

seeyar Pen Pal - Newbie

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Not necessarily, since the keyboard can act as a kickstand if you attach the display "backwards".

The only reason I'm not preordering this is that I can't justify a new computer just yet. Come on T904, start being sluggish so I have an excuse to ditch you!

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. JoeS

Definitely, I'm just saying that detaching the tablet portion for media consumption is not going to be the best experience. Detaching it for note taking or sketching etc would work great.

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

This is way better than the Helix.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Thinkpad or bust[/S] for the loss.

soh5 likes this.