Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Your work is beautiful. Too bad that you have to put up with living in Hawaii and can't live in a nicer environment like New Jersey. The oil refineries are beautiful this time of year. You could also paint New Jersey underwater marine scenes with a lot less colors on your pallet ... like anything but black!

2. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL Bronsky...I used to work in New York City, (Comic Books) and I remember the stories. Thanks for the laugh! Hawaii is beautiful but the volcano on this island makes smog look like clear skies some days...many days.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Utan-chan, stormi and freya301 like this.
  4. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Wonderful painting! i have both the CC1 and the CC2. if you are still happy with the CC1 i would keep it and skip the CC2. the increased noise, shorter battery life really are annoying. CC2 is much more powerful (roughly the same power as the SP4 and SB), but you pay for it. hopefully CC3 gets it right, or someone else thinks more about a painters needs (apple may have us in mind). even just an update to the CC2 processor would likely fix most of the problems. these new processors are 15w vs the cc2 28 watt models, at around the same performance levels! Pretty amazing. Might not help the battery life too much (wacom digitizers are very power hungry), but it will likely help the heat noise/issue

I have no idea if painters brush engine is gpu accelerated or not. i have it, but rarely use it. My illustration/concept art work is all photoshop. but i really do want to learn both.

Like you, i dont want to live without tilt and rotation of the upgraded art pen. i was willing to purchase the SB if it had at least one of these features, like you, im classically trained, so its important to me. too bad, the SB looks idea in so many other ways

5. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks DaniJoy...I will not be tempted by the CC2 then. Waiting. It gets easier as I get older...but at 67 I don't want to wait too long!

Utan-chan and DaniJoy like this.
  6. Count Vertsalot

Count Vertsalot Pen Pal - Newbie

So basically get the i5 Surface Book or shell out another $800 if you need to double the storage and memory. The only thing I'm miffed about is that I can't get an i5 with more storage space. All they had to do was plug in a different drive and create another SKU. What really upsets me is that you can configure a Surface Pro 4 anyway you like on Microsoft's store site, but they skipped that for the Surface Book.

7. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL
    But aren't there more bodies populating the river there this time of year,
    you know with Winter coming?
    Is the SurfaceBook waterproof?

Utan-chan, bloodycape and Bronsky like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

We like when the weather gets cold here because nobody drives down to South Jersey to dump bodies in the Pinelands like they do in the summer. So, yea, they pile up in the Bayone Bay.

9. AlanP

AlanP Pen Pal - Newbie

OK -- I went to my local Microsoft store today (at the Time Warner Center in New York) and confirmed this with my own hands on an actual Surface Book: there is a Surface Connect connector in the tablet/clipboard portion of the Surface Book. I was able to plug the charger directly into the tablet and confirmed that it was charging. So yay! The tablet can be powered on its own without being plugged into the keyboard. That makes the tablet portion's limited 3-hour battery life much easier for me to swallow.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, and it will be interesting to see how fast the clipboard can be charged, my bet is that it is very fast (given the 18Whr and how fast the SP3 charges its 42Whr battery).

Edit: Although come to think of it the cells are changed in "parallel", not in series, so they probably wont charge much if any faster than the SP3. Still, for me I think that would be workable.