Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Makes me just wish they had somehow released a mechanical keyboard for the SP4. I know its difficult because its top heavy, but still...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

With the standardization of the Surface Pro's overall dimensions for a couple of generations, I would not be surprised to see an aftermarket clamshell keyboard with battery.

Utan-chan, Vaga and WillAdams like this.
  3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wish. I just thought we may have seen one by now. Even just an attempt. Almost makes me wonder if the SP's connector is a proprietary one that they're not willing to give up the keys to...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anybody know where the fan(s) are?

5. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you're thinking of the i7 in the SP4 - it has iris 540 with 64mb edRAM. Most now believe that the i7 in the SB is an i7-6600u, which has HD 520 integrated gpu (http://ark.intel.com/products/88192/Intel-Core-i7-6600U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz) which is also the integrated graphics for the i5 SB, attached to the i5 6300u.

Also, there is a considerable difference between the Iris 5xxx chips, and the Iris PRO 5xxx, the later of which is found in 45W TDP intel chips. The non-pro Iris were great, but less performant. Long story short, I do think the Iris 540 in the SP4 will be excellent (yay skylake!), but I don't think it will come close to matching the crazy haswell moster Iris PRO 5200 found in the canvas Z.

ota-con likes this.
  6. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not understanding all the specs offered by the folks above regarding the GPU and the difference between the i5 and i7 models of the SB...which is better for an illustrator/artist? An i5 with 8GB or an i7 with 16GB?

Thanks

7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does anyone know whether the SB uses a regular SD card slot, where the SD card is fully inserted or whether it uses one of these dumb half-sized slots where the card sticks out?

EDIT: Looks like it could not be fully inserted (just guessing by the pictured size of the slot, but would be great if anyone could confirm this in a store.
    sb-sd-slot.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Vaga likes this.
  8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In this video you can see the fans for both the Tablet (at 1:05) and the Keyboard (at 0:42)

Here are two screencaps, though since this does not show all of the electronics inside, I am not sure if there might be a second fan on the opposite side of the tablet:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i dont think for most artist there is much point in dGPU acceleration. most of the brush features are not accelerated. pinch, zoom rotate are. but a integrated gpu handles these functions fine. the other features in photoshop that are accelerated are previews and filters. so it depends on your workflow and the software you use, but it you are painting in photoshop or corel, there is little point in spending the extra money for a dGPU. its more for beneficial for gaming, video editing and VDFX. IMO SP4 is better for artists.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-graphics-processor-troubleshooting-faq.html

it depends on your illustration working styles, but i find the Microsoft pen to be lacking key features i need for painting. no rotation or tilt makes the brush engine very generic and slows down my workflow. this won't bother all artist (like those doing inking comic styles and those who like simple programs like sketchbook pro) but for painterly styles in more high end software it a huge loss.

Is there a work around for this?

Utan-chan and surfaceproartist like this.
  10. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks DaniJoy. I appreciate your taking the time to give me that appraisal. Barrel tilt and rotation can be big factors for the brushes I use. I use Corel Painter 2016 mostly nowadays. I am an old traditional easel painter and use Painter only as a sketch medium for future paintings...but now that tablets are getting enough power I want to try to take the time to use the software to make final pieces. I will attach a small jpeg here of a sketch I did in painter 2016 for a piece I am now painting in acrylic.

Pylon-ColorSketch_Final_Changes_small.jpg

I am also learning Clip Studio Paint and Photoshop...but right now it seems Painter 2016, especially with the new Dynamic Speckles Brush category, best simulates tradtional brushes that I use on the easel. I currently have the Wacom Cintic Companion l which has 8 GB ram. I know the second generation of this model still has a few glitches so I was hoping for an alternative...but it sounds like the n-trig stylus still has a way to go to compete. Maybe I will hold off for a while longer.

I know this is not the most exciting composition but it is a commission piece that the client wanted populated with the Moorish Idol fish...so...give the clients what they want. And I am putting the picture here to show the type of detail I need to get. I did not use impasto brushes or other more complex brushes that would really tax a computer's ram. I used a scratchbrush brush and a simple blender for most of the sketch...as those two brushes allow me to sketch quickly with no lag. So this is what I need in a tablet's graphic power. Underwater pieces are what I get the most orders for, due to living in Hawaii...but seascapes and landscapes and figurative pieces are also what I want to focus on in the future...and in sizes up to 24 inches by 36 inches and up. And I would love to be able to execute the entire piece on one of these tablets.

Thank you again.

Utan-chan, ships10, kvoram and 5 others like this.