Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

2. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

i7 always were about 10% increase over i7 in real life performance.

3. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am looking to the i7 with the 16 GB or ram. That makes a huge difference, the ram, for painting with complex brushes. I would get an i5 if they configured it with 16 instead of just 8.

Or is the difference in the GPU that great? What is the difference in the GPUs between the i5 and i7?

4. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah im kind of frustrated with the config options as well.. would rather get an i5 with 16gb of ram. The GPU i assume is the same in the i5 and i7, is it substantially better than the intel graphics?

freya301 likes this.
  5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Compared to my machine, the i5 is 10%-15% faster and the i7 is 20%-25% faster. What should really set it apart is the iGPU and/or the dGPU, which could be 50%-100% faster. Considering the CPU, and considering the fact that the pen suffers from the usual N-trig issues, and that it lacks LTE and none of the components are user-serviceable, I don't feel so bad about my device anymore.

The Vaio Z Canvas is still performance king.

Vaga likes this.
  6. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

i7 has an Iris graphic with eDram. Only Iris 5200 found in 45W quad core CPU had it before, and Iris 5200 is on par with Nvidia 940m. I think there is a good chance - considering skylake architecture improvements - that new Iris 540 will be as fast as Haswell iris 5200 and Nvidia 940m. Which is twice as fast as HD4400 used in SP3.

Vaga likes this.
  7. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

I definitely think they have missed a trick by not having an i5 and dedicated GPU bundled with 16GB of RAM. They could have done that with a 256GB SSD and sold it for $2,000, which is still pricey but a far more enticing option.

Vaga and tabletartist4d like this.
  8. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The side switch is a right click button. Couldn't you use it with something like Radial Menu to call up the shortcuts you need?

I use a BT keyboard for shortcuts whenever possible. Saves a lot of aggravation.

And while I much prefer E for eraser, I've got to say that the new eraser tip is really amazing. It feels almost exactly like its real world equivalent.

Utan-chan, czm2000 and Kumabjorn like this.
  10. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So a Microsoft representative when questioned by Mashable about the Tablet only battery life stated it can get up to 4 hours. Of course that's typical manufacturer fodder, and would be the absolute ideal conditions.

Tech Crunch has now said that it can actually get 3 hours under normal use. Beats starting off at 3 and having it widdled down to 2 hrs of real life use.

But that 4 hour comment potentially speaks to the possibility that if optimized and under VERY light load, north of 3 hrs is possible. Maybe while reading on a long flight? ...who knows.