Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if the use of the dGPU can be switched off manually? I would assume so, since nvidia does the optimus switchable graphics thing, but I'd like to know for sure.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well that was fun while it lasted... Just found out that the new pen only has one side button. USELESS BS...

I suppose I can stop worrying about when their will finally write a driver to let me map those buttons. Just lost a GD button so it's all pointless...

digitallysane likes this.
  3. Count Vertsalot

Count Vertsalot Pen Pal - Newbie

Just get a Vaio Z Canvas and call it done. It has everything you want. The separate keyboard attaches to the tablet when you're traveling. It's basically a Surface Pro 3 with a different keyboard setup. It feels just like one. The new Surfaces have better pen tech, but it's still usable.

Vaga and IsaacKuo like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not entirely true I believe. The top eraser is also a button, click it and you get OneNote hold it down and you can take a screen shot. But the jury is still out on how customizable that is.

Utan-chan likes this.
  5. vikrantrai0104

vikrantrai0104 Pen Pal - Newbie

I happen to get some hands on time with both Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book and I must tell you both of them are just amazing. The build quality is top notch and the vapor Mg casing is just phenomenal. Here is my brief review about them.

Surface Book: Incredible gadget and looks unreal. I can even say it is the best-looking laptop on the planet. Trust me, I have had close to 30 laptops in last 9 years. I saw the base model with i5 6300U processor and 8 GB RAM. Hinge mechanism looked solid and the clipboard part is feather light. It exudes quality. However, I am little worried when an i7 processor will be running in just clipboard mode. I hope that thing does not melt. That makes me think if there will be severe thermal throttling in clipboard mode. Anyway, moving on the screen. Screen resolution is superb. Pen response is fluid and I did those fast circle, C, and wave things to check the response. To be honest, it was just flawless. I do want to point out the software on this laptop seemed a little buggy. I think it is probably because of display driver. The device froze once when I was removing it from the keyboard. Overall an incredible effort from Microsoft. Although I am not a fan of MS after my sour experience with Surface Pro 2, I must say I am pre ordering Surface Book base model. And by the way, clipboard has charging port (same as docking port) and you can charge the clipboard alone from the charger. It will also have the capability to connect to the dock via docking port. I confirmed this at the store and visually checked that clipboard was charging through the charger.

Surface Pro 4: I am kind of surprised that people are not as excited about this thing as they are about Surface Book. I think MS has outdone itself here. Surface pro 3 was quite an achievement. But Pro 4 is just something else. People who think a tablet and laptop can't be combined should really look here. Being a pro Apple (I have my reasons), I must admit that Panos has put his soul in this device. I did not push this device too hard during my hands on. But it just flies. It feels natural. I really wish developers make some really good touch first apps for this device. I know millions of legacy software work on this device but good touch enabled universal apps will add that needed punch for Windows 10 to be universal. I should also point out that pen response here is unreal. I am not an artist but I use to be a serious note taker. I read a lot (tech stuff. In fact I read each and every comment in this thread). I am kind of sad that when I was studying I did not have these devices. I always chased that ultimate unicorn but never found it. I think I have probably spent close to 5-6K in last 9 years finding the perfect note taking device. I must say Surface Pro is it. Heck, clipboard in surface book can be a perfect note taking tablet. I don't want to begin a war here but I believe iPad has its own place as a tablet. I find apple developers are very creative and I dont see any reason why they cant be equally creative with Windows 10. I am starting to learn coding for Windows 10. So hopefully I will have some apps soon, haha. Typing on the type cover has become infinitely better. Fingerprint reader looked good.

Lumia 950 XL: Great device. I wish I could switch from Android to Windows phone. Perfect fast and fluid device. OS needs some work but it is getting there. Windows fan, please support the OS by adopting it.

Thanks guys. My first post. For some reason, I never posted anything anywhere.

Utan-chan, Vaga, onimod and 4 others like this.
  6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Whelp, that didn't work, at all. I didn't get any more hands on time with the book after all. I was pinned to my booth all day, and the very instant the show closed, the equipment was put away. They had the carpets in the exhibition hall rolled up, literally rolled up. not more than a single minute after they announced on the PA that the hall was closed. it was kind of hilarious how fast things got packed up. Sorry I didn't get a change to dig up more details, gang.

7. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We appreciate your trying YVerloc.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That button is useless since I have to reposition my hand to use it. I need two side buttons. F off MS. I'm getting something else.

digitallysane and wataru like this.
  9. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not much else to get...besides Wacom. If I get something like tabletPCmouse that let's me create special function buttons on the display then I can live with that. A two-button (programmable) stylus is nice though. I usually set mine for brush resizing and color picking.

10. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

So I was considering the top of the line because my main reason to upgrade from my current macbook pro (8gb ram) was to get something with 16gb but now knowing the assumed i7 theyre using, I will likely just get the i5 with GPU because it seems to benchmark at around the same as the i7. I really dont see much benefit of the i7 models aside from storage which has never been a huge deal to me. Am i wrong in assuming the i5 and i7 arent much different performance wise if they are in fact the chips we assume them to be? Everything about this device is perfect and ticks all the boxes I was looking for to lure me back to windows from mac but if im paying 2700 it god damn better benchmark at or above my current set up which is 3 years old.

this has actually been done, using a traditional micro SD and adapter at half the price. Look up the adapter on amazon, i got one for about $5 then get a fast 64gb micro sd $20.

Utan-chan and Vaga like this.