Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's better to think it terms of how (in)accessible even the GPU is... @nnthemperor - I did some looking yesterday and found nothing of any substance on how to fix the extreme overheating.

I know it defeats the purpose, but I would consider disabling the NVidia 940 and just run on the Intel internal gpu. because this sounds like a fire hazard. Another alternative is to search eBay for a Performance Base - but they run $500-$700 - you may as well replace the Surface Book at that point.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Why do they glue the freaking thing? It looks like the hardest part in repasting the GPU would be removing the cover.

[​IMG]

Once inside, it's just a question of getting the motherboard out and flipping it to take off the heat sink. The rest is easy-peasy.

I like the idea of disabling the DGPU. Can you do that in the bios?

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. dstrauss

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks a million. It does melt the ice but that's only when playing the game. That's the only graphics intensive program I run. Without the ice it would shut down and refuse to power on for a minute or two, and when it does it does the thermometer warning. I've tried blowing air through the vents to no avail. Can't really splurge on a new SB now.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

5. nnthemperor

Update on my SB saga. Now each time I launch a program that uses the dgpu ( my PES 2020 soccer game) the KB dock goes haywire, detaching and reattaching by itself and eventually the system BSODs. $670 for a replacement unit is the only service option MS is offering since the device's out of warranty. Doesn't make sense dropping that much on an SB1. Wonder how much a mint/very good-condition SB2 with dgpu goes for now.
    Or maybe I should just give up my beloved soccer game (only play just 20mins a week, afterall).

Duo / SB2 / Neo? Decisions! Decisions!

PS. Weird! Why would the word suggestion feature in Google KB bring up "sex" when I type "decisions"? (and to the grammarians here, should the question mark be before that close quote sign or after it?)

JoeS likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't really remember the rule but I know if it was a period or comma it would be on the inside of the last quote but I think the question mark is different and you have it right.

At least that's what I think sister mary viligant taught me so many years ago.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

Thanks a lot. Thought as much. See, we're not all about tech; grammar advice and other life hacks are among our other specialties too. TPCR forums is a onestop shopping site.

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, on good wifi or hotspot you could stream it from a better pc (or Xcloud or Shadow cloud pc) to your Surface Book.
    A 13/14 inch x360 degrees laptop might also be light enough to use in tablet in short bursts while could still ship with mx350 or decent ryzen igpu (maybe even Surface Pro or Book in the future ).

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. dstrauss

My honors English teacher in high school said trust in Strunk & White (actual title is Elements of Style) and never leave home without it. @Bronsky is right - commas and periods ALWAYS inside; semi-colon, colon, and dash ALWAYS outside, and question mark/exclamation point inside IF it pertains to the subject of the quote - outside if it pertains to the whole sentence.

Eltos, Kumabjorn, Bronsky and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.