Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's better to think it terms of how (in)accessible even the GPU is... @nnthemperor - I did some looking yesterday and found nothing of any substance on how to fix the extreme overheating.

I know it defeats the purpose, but I would consider disabling the NVidia 940 and just run on the Intel internal gpu. because this sounds like a fire hazard. Another alternative is to search eBay for a Performance Base - but they run $500-$700 - you may as well replace the Surface Book at that point.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Why do they glue the freaking thing? It looks like the hardest part in repasting the GPU would be removing the cover.

[​IMG]

Once inside, it's just a question of getting the motherboard out and flipping it to take off the heat sink. The rest is easy-peasy.

I like the idea of disabling the DGPU. Can you do that in the bios?

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks a million. It does melt the ice but that's only when playing the game. That's the only graphics intensive program I run. Without the ice it would shut down and refuse to power on for a minute or two, and when it does it does the thermometer warning. I've tried blowing air through the vents to no avail. Can't really splurge on a new SB now.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk