Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Glad they included the pen in Complete. I think they excluded my Surface 3 Keyboard.

2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

The keyboard was a separate purchase on the Surface 3, no? The pen came in the box for the Surface Book 1, so I think it was part of the Complete package (unless the guy at the MS Store was just being nice to her). You have to buy the pen separately for the Surface Book 2, so I bet that's not covered.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. You're probably right about the separate purchase thing.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

They did and asked why, they said cause complete is only for the device and not the accessories. Ugh.

5. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also have the same situation as you. I was planning to retire/sell my SB in 2020 or later (after SB3 launched), but decided to put it on sale now.

My problem:
    After I sold my gaming laptop, SB become my primary laptop for both work and ebook reading and gaming. This is when I started to see its flaws.

1. Problematic gaming.
    SBPB is powerful enough to play AAA games and I had fun connecting it to a 32" screen. However with this setup, sometimes Windows OS became unresponsive (while the game still running fine) and I have to hard-reset the SB. At first I thought this because I play the game on fullscreen mode. So I changed the settings to windowed mode, but the same thing still happens. I read somewhere that this is due to SB display output problem (i forgot where it got reported).

2. Thermal-throttling.
    The Clipboard thermal-throttling on full load full brightness. I have to use my SB in a room temperature below 22 celcius so it won't thermal-throttle (whenever I need full power and brightness). Only happen on full load full brightness, but still annoying.

3. Not serviceable.
    On the unlikely event that my SB died, even if its just the battery, I won't be able to save my data. On regular laptop, you could just pull out your SSD. But not on this laptop.
    Even with daily backup and using cloud service, I still prefer the ability to pull out the SSD on the likely event my SB got busted.
    Not only that, not serviceable means I can't repaste the heatsink and clean the cooling fan. So I'm guessing this laptop life expectancy only 2 years before the cooling system and the battery start failing from heavy use.

This is a great laptop, but it doesn't suit my need.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    dellaster likes this.
  6. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I havent sell my SBPB and problem already showing up.

I got a yellow/black tint on my LCD, a sign that the battery is swelling and bending the LCD outward. Hwinfo also showing battery wear level at 20% (a month ago, it still at 5%).

I recommend you guys that already use your device for more than 1 year to check your LCD.
    The yellow/black tint is hard to see on a black background color, but it shows on white background especially on 100% brightness.

My device still on the early phase of the battery swelling though, the yellow tint doesnt appear when the device still cold, but once its heated up, its shows up. The bending lcd hard to see (still on early phase) but i can feel the bulging with my hand.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

if the battery is swelling.

Please stop using it and contact or bring it into a Microsoft store...

dstrauss likes this.
  8. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

already in contact with Surface Support... no solution yet (still have to send pictures etc), but so far I'm impressed with how fast they responded.
    the CS agent even phone called me 5 mins after I describe the issue on chat. (which by the way, was international phone call from US region to Asia region).

hopefully I can get a replacement unit.

9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pants. Although I have an SP6, I've been using a Surface Book (965m) for general comic reading and web browsing. The battery hits 40% and BOOM, low battery shutdown. Does it again at 30%. More or less a clean install of Windows etc. After 30% it carries on until next to empty.

Is the battery leaving this world?

Extra pants.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I was going to say that it's a calibration issue, but given that it picks up again at 30% it's probably not as simple. Maybe its max current has dropped. If that's it you should be able to cause a shutdown by running benchmarks or anything else CPU intensive.