Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Here in Europe warranty is 2 years standard. Microsoft Complete adds accidental damage cover (liquids included) for a maximum of two requests during those two years. Basically same as Apple.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You generally have far better consumer laws in the EU. What's left of it.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Which is balanced by you having a far more aggressive market with discounts we can only dream of. :D

Bronsky likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You just killed your own dream with that confession - why do you think Timmy and company won't bring a file system and mouse support to the iPad? Two sales are better than one, and that's the opportunity MS is bringing to the table with Surface Go - a Windows iPad for Surface Book owners...

excalibur1814 likes this.
  5. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well folks after 4 years owning several surface device with the last one Surface Book the longest time for almost 2 years it's time for a break and move on and will consider future surface purchase depends from what MS will offer.

And MS should offer drastic changes and imrpovements as motivation or else i'm done with them.

BTW i had issue latest 2-3 months as usb ports didin't recognized USB 3.0 external disk as well flash drives.(sometimes usb ports works fine after several restart device or after several clipboard detach or retach but i couldn''t deal any more with that issue)
    It was frustrated as workd all that period with usb 2.0 hub for reliable connected external devices.

The odd was that USB 2.0 drivers was ok,the problem was to USB 3.0 peripherals.

So kudos to MS as after chat with them return the faulty device and as a replacement got totaly brand new device just 3 months before warranty expired(i had 2 year standard warranty bought it from UK MS store) but decide not to keep it but to sell it and move on as i was afraid after warranty expired not to deal with any kind other new issue as it's risky owning a device without warranty especialy knowing that surface are not repairable.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

For what it is worth, sometimes I also run out of USB resources. I then open Device Manager, delete all USB entries and do a new hardware scan. Solves the problem in less than 30 seconds.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not worked with me.
    I even tried reinstall windows with no success so the only solution is sending device back to MS under warranty.

The new unit got USB ports worked as normal with both USB 3.0/2.0 peripherals without any issues had with faulty first device had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I've had almost a year with my Surface Book and it's been mostly trouble-free. No glitches I couldn't take care of after a little bit of research. All in all a very good machine!

But it no longer fits my changing needs and desires so I have put it up on Swappa.com for sale. The CPU+GPU combo just doesn't cut it for the games I'd like to play & mod, most specifically Skyrim SE. I also ended up never using it detached, mostly leaving the clipboard in presentation mode so that the SB could serve as a desktop replacement. I use my own favorite keyboard and mouse as well... so why do I need a convertible or even a laptop?

Well, I don't. So I'm going back to an Intel NUC for my main computer, the less power-hungry version of the Hades Canyon. The one with the unholy Intel CPU + AMD GPU collaboration: NUC8i7HNK.

Thank you, Surface Book, for the good and faithful service over the past year. May you find a new owner who will treat you well. :D

Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

dellaster likes this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

When packing up my surface book the pen got knocked off, because that magnet isn't very strong, and my cat played with it and knocked it off the table. I didn't think very much of it since a pen should be able to survive falling 3-4' to the floor, right? Apparently not. It was DOA upon arrival to the buyer.

[Insert rant about non-silo pens] :p

Fortunately the Microsoft store replaced the pen for her so all is well. (It still has a year left of Microsoft Complete.)

Bronsky likes this.