Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Congratulations, man. You suffered enough on this one. Believe me, if it was easy to figure out, one of the geniuses on this thread would have suggested it! (Also glad to hear the SB is still in good stead.)

dellaster likes this.
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Blimey!!! I have a Surface Book with a failed battery in the tablet section... MS want £590 to replace. FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY POUNDS.

Good luck to people that eventually have a battery that no longer holds a charge :)

!

JoeS likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...MS want £590 to replace...>>

Outrageous, I agree. I take it that you do not have warranty coverage?

4. excalibur1814

None. Zero.

While logging in I was thinking, "£350 wouldn't be so bad as it's a nice machine!"

But £590 is paying for it, probably, two to three times over. Again. :eek:

Oh well. Will have to seriously re-think Surface Books! (Surface Pro is £350 to replace a damaged screen etc)

5. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

That's an utterly absurd price. It competes with Apple repair price absurdity. :mad:

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So far, I haven't kept a unit long enough for the battery to fail. I consider Complete Care a mandatory part of the Surface Purchase Price. At least I know I will get two years out of a unit that way. This issue is one of the things that keeps me looking at Lenovo and what they are producing. Unfortunately, they haven't matched the Go yet with anything they've released.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I can't say that I've ever had a computer battery fail prematurely. I've worn out batteries and I've had batteries age out (maybe that's the same thing...?) but not had a battery go south on me before its time.

External batteries have been a different story, though. I've had two Electrovaya PowerPads fail abruptly and an APC external battery (back when APC made such things) that died well before it should have. It was these early failures that taught me that batteries have to be used regularly if you expect them to last. It's a lesson that I've taken to heart...

8. excalibur1814

The unit hasn't arrived yet but, once it does, I'll run a few tests and do the usual. Purchased for an ultra-cheap price so I'm only going from the auction description. Tried to grab a bargain and FAILED. :)

Will be used in work so I don't have to spend the £590 myself.

9. excalibur1814

It arrived today. Battery 1 not present. They've used the paper clip method to separate the tab, from the keyboard, so that's saved me time. Anyway it's on the way back to MS.

10. excalibur1814

I'm back to a Surface Book (i5, 128Gb) and I STILL miss the Surface Pro format. It's annoying as MS has two machines that are simply fantastic, drool worthy, with someone like myself constantly moving between the two devices.

I know that they don't want to mess with sales but I'd fall over and be so happy if the third Surface Book had a kickstand. I'd never, ever, ever again, need to buy another machine. One machine to rule them all. Solid keyboard or the type covers being an option for travel. It would be the killer unit, especially with the nVidia gpu, with nothing coming close to the usability. Reviewers wouldn't have a leg to stand on as it would be the most multi-use laptop out there.

DRTigerlilly and JoeS like this.