Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Does anyone have any ideas?..>>

Check your display settings, e.g., is the resolution now different from the native resolution...?

dellaster likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@dellaster I so feel your pain, but have few ideas - except that you cross-post this in the SB2 thread, that has more followers, even name a few of the most technically savvy members. I'm sure this can be resolved with software/resets.

One thought: uninstall the display port driver and re-boot to let it re-install itself.

Good luck.

dellaster likes this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Yes, as far as I've been able to ascertain everything is set the same way it was before I tried the DisplayPort for the first time. I even had an idea that maybe the contacts were dirty since I had detached the clipboard once during the process. So I cleaned them. No go.

It no longer scales the game DPI the way it did before. My borderless window now only covers part of the screen. Used to do a fake full screen. Though if that was the only problem I can force it to work through some ENBoost settings.

4. dellaster

Thanks. I'm downloading the 1809 ISO in case I want to give that a try. (I'm on 1803.) Before I install that I'll try your idea and uninstall the DisplayPort driver.

5. dellaster

Did you know that in order to use the Microsoft diagnostic tool you have to be fully up-to-date with Windows 10? So I had to go to Update 1809 anyway just to run that. It didn't help—the dGPU is still throttled—but at least nothing worse happened.

I then went to Microsoft support chat and got someone who actually knew what I was talking about and why it would be important (you sometimes get these guys who you KNOW are thinking "what's the big deal? Just live with it"). Unfortunately, I had already done everything that he could suggest I do other than a full reset. And he knew that nobody with a gaming setup would want to go through that (it'll take days to get it back to were it is) so he suggested knocking it up to tier 2 support and see if they had any suggestions. I agreed to that and they were supposed to call yesterday but they didn't...

I guess I'll wait until Tuesday and then plan to wipe it clean and see if that helps. I suppose if that doesn't work I'm going to have to try to get a repair or replacement. :(

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Did you know that in order to use the Microsoft diagnostic tool you have to be fully up-to-date with Windows 10?..>>

...Same thing with Snip & Sketch. I use Snip all the time, but I can't install it on my ZBook X2 because I haven't installed built 1809... and likely don't want to until MSFT fixes the pen functionality...

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So sorry for all your going through, @dellaster, it's so unfair! Do press up the levels of tech support before making the investment of a wiping. This can't be the first time this has happened.

dellaster likes this.
  8. dellaster

Wow. I can sort of understand it with a diagnostic tool but something like Snip & Sketch? Why would it need the latest update?

"Windows 10 version 17687.0 or higher". Okay, I guess it's because they did the compile on 17687. Programs are touchy like that. The same kind of stuff happens when I make a Skyrim mod, it becomes dependent on the update version and whatever DLCs were active.

9. dellaster

o_O I feel stupid. Skyrim is my only game that uses the GPU to the max, so that's all I was testing it with. I was about to do a clean install so I figured I'd get a reasonably lightweight benchmark to test to see if anything changed afterwards, testing first as it is of course...

And I was getting 99% GPU utilization in the benchmark (Resident Evil 6 Demo). So, obviously, it was something with my Skyrim setup, not my hardware or Windows 10.

Long story short I eventually found out it was altered .ini configuration file(s), one or both—I just copied them over from a Skyrim profile that I didn't use with the external monitor. I don't understand why configuring an external monitor over DisplayPort would gimp the GPU in the settings, but there it is. Case solved.

20181210_093439-01.jpeg

lovelaptops, Bronsky and WillAdams like this.
  10. dellaster

A final follow up: Microsoft tier 2 tech support just called and I was able to explain what happened and close the support ticket. I wondered if they would follow through and am glad that they did. I now have more confidence that I'll get help in the future if I need it.

Azzart likes this.