Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Tell me there really isn’t a Yoga c930 and a Yoga Book c930, and it’s the laptop and not the tablet with a siloed EMR?

I think I am like the “Man With No Country” anymore - at just want one to do it all, Wacom EMR, with a silo, kickstand, and worked with my phone BUT have iMessage and FaceTime - no problem, right!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Tell me there really isn’t a Yoga c930 and a Yoga Book c930...>>

...One byline says S730 but the entire article says C930. It appears to be a convertible tablet? Otherwise, no clue...!

3. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I want you to know I'm not mocking you when I ask this. With anything as expensive and personal as a personal computing device, there are competing priorities and a discovery process as you evaluate devices "in the field"...

So I get your support for Wacom EMR. And that moved you to GB. LTE moved you from GB to nSP/LTE. But then frustration over N-Trig took you back to GB. Not sure why you went back to SB2 (and I just see I'm in the SB and not SB2 thread...).

I saw how you were commenting on lack of kickstand on SB2 made note taking harder...

But I'm curious with all of these changes in quick succession, how do you rate the inking experience? I know EMR is your favorite, but how do you rank/compare inking between nSP and SB2?

Thanks!

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea, I was pretty happy with that announcement. But let's face it, if you really want the best of the best Lenovo-esque experience you probably want a ThinkPad keyboard. Unless the speakers are REALLY that important to you and end up being amazing, you might as well just buy a ThinkPad Yoga a generation or two behind for less money. You won't be compromising on much in terms of performance. Media consumption, maybe.

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Well said @Mr. Boosh. Plus the 930 does not satisfy @dstrauss true "dream machine" criterion: an EMR stylus in the silo. I would add that Thinkpads have legendary durability that their consumer models typically lack. Still I can't help but be impressed by the steps Lenovo has taken here to leapfrog (maybe "double-jump" would be more accurate; no major new ground broken here) the competition with a beautiful device with pretty much all the features in one product that we here at TPCR recognize as necessary to be world class. Still, I'll wait for reviews to see if this $2,000 machine with all desirable options doesn't glitch in some key areas of performance as Lenovo devices often do, especially in their first incarnations.

6. Mr. Boosh

The new one's AES it seems based on that capacitor on the pen? I'm more interested in the Snapdragon 850 Yoga device they'll be releasing. Windows Central has a small bit about it in their recent video. Basically same device but with the mobile CPU. 8GB RAM at least, plenty of storage, a pen. 2.4lbs I believe. The big one: 25 hours battery life.

That would be a great school device. Even the Surface Book I'm getting in a few days is overkill for school, why do I need an nVidia graphics chip? lol

7. Mr. Boosh

What a beautiful piece of hardware. I must say, even for a gen 1 product, Microsoft hit it out of the park with this one. I never experienced the Surface Book line before, I think this will be a perfect machine for school.

I'm keeping it simple with very few app installs. Other than AutoHotkey, anyone have specific programs that really help you customize it?

dellaster likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

TouchMe Gesture Studio. :D

Mr. Boosh likes this.
  9. Mr. Boosh

Was going to. Does it support Touchpad gestures? I will say this, this is the first time I've had a precision trackpad, and the customization is great. I have the 4 finger swipes in every direction customized to "Win + #" to pull up my most often used apps (corresponds to space on Taskbar), and I mimicked the 3 finger swipe left and right to switch between tabs like it does on ChromeOS.

10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Help! Today I connected to an external monitor for the first time ever over DisplayPort on my Surface Book. It functioned as expected but immediately afterward the GPU no longer worked well in a game. It won't even do over 80% utilization in a game that it previously hit 99% most of the time (Skyrim). My framerate dropped from a reliable 60 FPS to 40 FPS or worse. This is, of course, with the external display disconnected and everything set up the way it was before I tried the external monitor. It's like some switch was flipped when I connected the DisplayPort and it won't unflip. I reinstalled the Nvidia graphics drivers three or four times now, back to older ones as well as the latest ones. Nothing makes any difference at all.

This is really frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas?