Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I clearly got a bum device, and that would be ancient history, now remedied, if only...........the replacement I ordered, that came the next day, wasn't missing the Nvidia gpu!!!! I've now ordered 3 of these and had to return all 3:

1) turned out to be a used device
    2) had a hardware defect of unknown origin
    3) was the wrong configuration: they sent me one without the Nvidia GPU

Reading the comments by purchasers from the 2 different vendors I purchased from on Amazon Marketplace (both fulfilled by Amazon), I find the problems I had were reported by others as ones that they had experienced. Normally, I would just shrug it off as either bad luck or, in fact, a result that was statistically consistent with what others experienced. But.......turns out there was a problem with my third order, making it impossible at this moment to return it for a refund - and order a 4th, something I'm not adverse to doing - because somehow Amazon shipped the unit to me but did not/could not (for no discernable reason) charge my credit card. Thus, I can't return it and get my money refunded because, at present, it doesn't look like I was charged for it!!!

This is all just nuttiness and an excellent supervisor is working on it and has asked my help in contacting my credit card bank on Monday and, blah, blah.....It will all work out in the end. If I had a critical need for this computer, or if it was a vendor other than Amazon, I might be pulling my hair out over this (though I don't really have any hair left to pull out!!), but because it's Amazon and because I persisted until I got a great agent, who committed to stay on the case and call me back on Monday, it's just an inconvenience. The first 2 machines were picked up by UPS at my home and refunded - and replaced - within 2 days, and I'm sure this strange situation will also get resolved quickly.

So that's what's new with me, how about you?!!!

Oh, sorry @dellaster , I would have to believe your issue with Explorer is a software problem with that browser. Is there any reason you need to use IE?

dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@lovelaptops - by "Explorer" I meant the file explorer, not the browser. It's not a big deal, just a curiosity since it seems to take longer than it did on my little Yoga with a slower SSD and M5 processor. But we're talking about a split-second hesitation, nothing to stress about.

Sorry to hear you had another one that isn't right. It sure seems to be a mess in the liquidation market for these things right now, with used, returns, different SKUs, and new ones all getting mixed up. Of course, that makes me even happier that I got lucky on my first try and I didn't return it just because the box was in substandard condition. (Had the inside looked at all tampered with I would have returned it, however.)

Good luck with your next one. I admire your patience even if you don't actually need it right now.

3. lovelaptops

@dellaster, sorry I misunderstood about Windows Explorer. Since the only issue is double-clicking vs. single-clicking it may not be worth even trying to troubleshoot it. Frankly, I should add you to the reasons I have no major concerns over ordering yet a 4th unit. I trust Amazon to ultimately do right by me and I trust your thoroughness to establish that once I get the right SB it will be as good as I hope it will be Thanks so much for your incredibly helpful and amazingly prompt feedback and inputs. Jeff

4. lovelaptops

This is for @dellaster and any other SB owners: I recently purchased a brand new (close out) SB i5/8GB/256GB/Nvidia d-gpu model and am generally very happy with it (after going through 4 purchases until I got the right unit!). I have a few annoying issues and wonder if anyone else encounters these:

1) Trackpad: at times it disengages - nothing registers when I touch/scroll - and is easily and quickly corrected by a quick touch on the screen. It happens rarely and intermittently, but is somewhat unnerving. A second issue is that occasionally scrolling takes on a mind of its own and it will suddenly scroll two or three pages with one light scrolling gesture of the sort that normally will scroll only a single page or less. I then scroll back up to where I was and the scrolling returns to normal, but this occurs more frequently than the disconnect behavior I mention above. It's also in the category of annoyance, but I wonder if I have a defective trackpad or if this is experienced by others. I've tried uninstalling the driver and letting Windows re-install it upon re-booting, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

2) Sluggishness: this is hard to describe, much less diagnose. It seems to happen more often when I'm launching a web page, but it think it occasionally does occur outside of the Internet, such as in the middle of executing a command in MS Word, One Note, etc., even sometimes executing a print command, though it is far more often a web page launch event. Things just seem to slow down and it takes considerably longer than normal for a page to launch. I'll be running on "normal" power settings and my wifi seems to work ok - by which I mean that my gigabit connection delivers up/down speeds of about 200mb/s - slow compared to other modern devices I own but surely more than fast enough to launch web pages as rapidly as their servers can manage. I've suspected power and/or cpu issues, but both seem to be functioning well. I also worry about RAM because I often have 15+ pages open on Chrome, but that doesn't slow things down most of the time and Ram is never - in the cases where I observe the sluggishness - more than 50% utilized.

Otherwise the machine is pretty much a dream. I'm not taxing it very heavily but it almost always handles everything I throw at it. I'm trying to decide whether to: a) send the machine back to Amazon for a - dread! - replacement; b) bring it to a MS store (I've got 3 within 20 mins from home (DC area); c) just ignore. It's just that neither of these behaviors strike me as "normal" variation in the performance of such rudimentary procedures. Oh, did I mention I'm a bit OCD about such things?!!:oops:

Finally, regarding the "sluggishness," particularly launching web pages, I have an alternate theory: For the past 3 months, other than the past 3 weeks since I've owned the SB, I've been using a Google Pixelbook, which my wife gave me as a Christmas gift, for rudimentary tasks, including web browsing. Chromebooks are optimized for web browsing and the Pixelbook has very speedy hardware. Could it be that most Windows machines will encounter occasional delays that Chromebooks just don't ever have? When I first used the Pixelbook I was totally blown away by how smooth and fast ordinary tasks were on it, consistently, including all browser-based operations but also other i/o tasks and, these days, Android apps as compared to even my ultra fast/smooth Pixel 2 phone. For example, it takes about 20% as long to download, install and launch an Android app on the chromebook as on the Pixel 2 phone, which, running the latest pure stock Android version on very fast hardware.

I think maybe Bronsky was right: I do have too much time on my hands!! Seriously, thoughts?

5. dellaster

@lovelaptops — I've never had any problem with the trackpad, but then again most of the time I have my keyboard and mouse hooked up. Speaking of which, I do have a problem with those disconnecting at times but I believe that's an issue with my Amazon USB hub because if I unplug and replug it it works again. It's pretty old so I think I need a new one.

No web surfing sluggishness that I can notice. I'm coming from a Lenovo Yoga that had a Kabylake m5 processor (i5Y) which isn't a whole lot different in performance from the Skylake i5. And since my normal internet speeds are typically in the 5 Mb/s realm I'm not someone you should be asking about it. ;)

The only real bug that I have is that when I try to detach the clipboard sometimes it won't let me because Outlook and Microsoft Store apps are active. Even though they don't use the GPU. It seems to only happen when it's turned around 180°, I have just disconnected my mouse and keyboard (I'm using touch), and it's not hooked up to wifi. After I kill those two apps with the Task Manager it detaches as normal. If I go through the same process but don't disconnect my mouse and keyboard before doing it I never encounter that problem. Go figure.

Not a huge problem. I'm still quite happy with my Surface Book. :D

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  6. lovelaptops

Thanks. I think I'm officially over caring about such trivial things. If they get worse I have Complete. I do love this machine. FYI, if you find a need for a backup device for non-challenging tasks, consider a cheap Chromebook; they are amazingly fast and flawless for basic tasks, so much so that they spoil you to expect instantaneous response! (They have limits though).

dellaster likes this.
  7. dellaster

It's been a pleasant surprise that my Galaxy Note 8 takes care of all the stuff that I don't actually need a full-blown computer for. No intermediate device required! Heck, I haven't even used my Kindle e-ink ebook reader since I got it, the screen is so good. :thumbsup:

WillAdams and kneehowguys like this.
  8. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you find yourself annotating pdf's with xodo on your galaxy note 8 alot in practice? Or taking reminder notes or light studying with it?

Galaxy note 8 phone is 6.3 inches I think and the other pocketable notetaker I'm considering is https://liliputing.com/2018/05/one-mix-yoga-is-a-7-inch-pocket-sized-laptop-and-tablet.html

I am slightly concerned about the tall aspect ratio but it should make it more holdable

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Samsung's Write on PDF is much better than XODO, which I find to be a bit counter intuitive. I still tend to annotate larger documents on my Surface 3, but the Note 5 does everything else. It is my prime note taker.

dellaster, DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.
  10. dellaster

Yep, that was another surprise. I had never even heard of Write on PDF but the option came up automatically when I needed to sign a document, I tried it, and I liked it better than anything I've used before on a small device.

Bronsky likes this.