Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Wiz

Wiz Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed an update to the Surface NVM Express Controller. Interestingly enough, after the factory setup my SB i7 16Gb with Toshiba 512Gb defaulted to the Microsoft Standard NVM Express Controller, and not the Surface NVM Express Controller. Which I swapped for the OCZ R400 driver for the Toshiba XG3.

So my question would be whether there is a consensus on which driver best to use? The standard one, the Surface one or the OCZ one ..?

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’m having the Samsung SSD and using the Samsung driver and not surface one.
    Every time perform update immediately after that roll back to Samsung controller driver.

Same thing do to Intel HD driver replaced the MS driver with latest from Intel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. alextrela182

4. alextrela182

5. alextrela182

6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm joining the club. In the end a tax-free $875 (!) for a new, factory sealed i5 Surface Book, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD with GeForce was not something I could resist. I'll be receiving it Friday.

I weighed the merits of newer devices with 8th generation CPUs and mx150, but it really came down to the importance of screen quality, price, and the fact that the Surface Book is plenty good enough for me power-wise (I checked, it plays Skyrim very well and that's by far the most demanding game I play). I'm so sick and tired of pixelated 1080p with its criminal 16:9 aspect ratio! My eyes are always tired and hurting after going through a 100k-word novel manuscript for somebody on my Yoga. Monitors for Word should be tall so there's not so very much scrolling! /rant

This is my attempt to slim down to a 2 device solution rather than the 4 device solution I had. Previously: iPhone SE + iPad mini 4 + Yoga 710 11.6" + NUC 6i5SYK w/23" 4k monitor. Now: Galaxy Note 8 + Surface Book. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If you don't need a great amount of power, than the Surface Book will be amazing.
    And yes the screen is gorgeous. You only need to install the Intel graphic drivers instead of those from Microsoft to get rid of the annoying and aggressive adaptive brightness and you'll be fine.

dellaster likes this.
  8. dellaster

Thanks for the tip! I'm sure there are a lot of things I need to learn about the Surface Book and I'll be coming back to this thread and elsewhere in the coming weeks.

Azzart likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...and I'll be coming back to this thread...>>

...Good! Only 2044 other posts to read!!

dellaster likes this.
  10. dellaster

Haha! I've been following this thread casually since its beginning, not paying a whole lot of attention but curious anyway. The Surface Book was always attractive but way beyond my budget.

This will be my third Surface device—SP2 & SP4 previously—and I'm hoping that "third time's the charm" rather than "three strikes and you're out!"

dstrauss likes this.